Repairing a Lawn Mower?

My mower makes a purring sound and will not turn over. I replaced the battery, spark plugs, and air filters with no luck.

It could possibly be your connectors to you battery/ or bad cables to the battery. Another is the Carburetor, a bad carburetor could also stall starting. Check all of these things to see if there not connecting to each other. And lastly make sure there is no moisture in your fuel!

Thanks a bunch, I'll check those possibilities.

If you are turning over the key and it makes a purring sound this normally indicates that is an issue with the starter or the starter cables on the lawnmower. Anytime the starter will tick or purr there is a problem in the starter of a machine just like in your car.

You can have your starter checked at most auto parts stores. I would check the starter and do a starter test. You can usually bypass a lawnmower starter and start the mower using a screwdriver. Try this to see if you can bypass the starter or the starter switch to make sure there is an issue with your starter.

Thanks poehere, I'll try that!

It's possible it could also be your solenoid but that may just make a clicking noise.
There are just so many different things that could cause this to happen and it is difficult to keep asking question like;
have you used your mower this year? Has it had a good cleaning, especially removing old fuel from last year? Why did you decide to buy a new battery and was the old one tested before replacing it?

All I'm saying is there are so many variables that could cause this that I would suggest you talk to a lawn mower 'expert' as they would know what questions to ask and could provide you with step by step instructions on what to try next.
I have some links to lawn mower forums and these people really help a lot of people with mower problems (you see, you are not alone with this type of thing). You can decide on any one forum but if you do not get an answer quickly you can always go to another one (usually they answer right away).
You do have to join the group but that should be no problem. Keep in touch with them as you are most likely going to need them again sometime in the future.
thelawnforum.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=9140989bb45e07c68268722b8506d882
www.lawnmowerforum.com/.../?type=post
gardentractortalk.com/.../

www.houzz.com/.../lawn-mowers

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersNovember 30, 2020
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Lawn-Mower-3.html