Repairing a Lawn Mower

Category Lawn Mowers
The grass is sorely in need of cutting and the mower is giving you grief. This is a page about repairing a lawn mower.

I bought a Yard King Performance 42580X89 from my landlord. I went to go mow the lawn and noticed a large vibration and a loud coming from deck. The jackshaft threads are stripped for the right side of the deck. What can I do to repair/replace the jackshaft?

By Geoff from Morganton, NC

Answers

Talk to your landlord. He must have known he was selling you a defective machine.

If that doe'nt work visit a small engine repair shop and ask them. They will share the information you need.

Thanks I'll try it out. I just need to do something and quick grass is growing up quick. Thanks again.

I asked my husband about your mower problem. He says if the jackshaft is the part that holds the blade in place, you will need to replace it.

The blade could fly off if the shaft is bent or broken.

While mowing today with my Craftsmen 15.5 lawn tractor the engine all of a sudden wanted to over-rev big time. The only way I could stop it was to shut off the ignition or choke the carbuerator. Now when I start it, it wants to overrev from the get go. I cannot throttle it back Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

Anonymous

somthing is wrong with the throtle governer. Sometimes its a mechanical type inside the crank case somtimes its a air vane type near the flywheel.

It may be starving for gas. Add C-foam to the gas. It will clean the varnish in the carburetor.

messed up govenor

What wires do you disconnect and reconnect for a Craftsman riding lawn mower safety switches? Please help.

When I try and move my speed lever the braking system engages. I have no clue what's going on!

While I was mowing, the front suspension came off and the mower drive belt broke. After replacing the belt when I started the engine and the blades started moving, one of the pulleys was very hot, and the engagement handle was very difficult to move.

By gary1 from Roseville, CA

Answers

After a visit to a professional, the lever may still be hard to engage, but eventually mine loosened up. Not sure about the other implications.

Front suspension? If it came down? Are you talking mower deck if so, up front there are some pivot points make sure they are lined up. Make sure you pulled all the dried grass. BTW you can get a big fire when the pulley gets hot. BTDT carry a fire extinguisher in back pack

I have replaced the starter drive on my Briggs & Stratton engine on my craftsman mower. To do this I had to have a special tool for the removal of the c-ring and a special tool for the replacement of the c-ring, which I accomplished successfully. How do you replace the two long bolts back through the starter. I can get everything lined up but can't seem to get the bolt close enough to get the threads started?

Jude from Atlanta

Answers

By Angela (Guest Post)

If you want to do your own repairs on your mower I suggest you obtain a copy of GREGORY'S No.426, SMALL ENGINES SERIES 2 SERVICE AND REPAIR MANUAL. To assist in identifying, there are four rewind type starters used Briggs & Stratton have names them Vertical Pull, Horizontal Pull, Quantum Power and Side Mount.

I had probs with my mower and went to you tube. Typed in mower wont start and there were plenty of videos showing you how to do repairs. got mine going by watching the videos. Hope this helps

I have 21 HP Briggs and Stratton. The gas is blowing in the head and in the oil. What is causing that?

Answers

Briggsandstratton.com has a troubleshooting page.
www.briggsandstratton.com/.../engine-problem-solving-tips.html

How do I change the belt on a Yard Machine model #13A1762F026?

Answers

There are two excellent videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to change your belt.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRQqmQnXNgM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTMrv_Ibvo

I have a 42" Yardman tractor with a 6 speed manual shift. It runs fine, no issues. The only problem now is that it will climb a grade at first, but the more I mow the less it moves until it stops rolling. Reverse is no problem. Is the belt too loose after using or is there an adjustment?

I have a Briggs 21 horsepower mower. The starter still gets hot. I put in a new battery and a new starter and it still gets hot. What's wrong with it?

Answers

Does it have fresh fluids?

I have a Special Edition 18 HP Yard Machine riding mower Model # MTDC3BQ695H352 and need to replace a 90 inch belt. I have a new belt and need a diagram to help with the replacement. Do know where I can find a diagram?

Answers

I have located the instruction for replacing your belt on the lawn mower. You can follow the directions here: www.mtdparts.com/.../change-riding-mower-drive-belt

Or it is possible to watch a YouTube video to see how they do it. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTMrv_Ibvo

How do you bypass the electric brakes on an ExMark mower? Mine lock up and I have replaced the module twice.

Answers

Ask the manufacturer how to do it.

When I go to start my Murray 20 horse twin riding mower I hear a metal on metal clunk just before it starts. It only does it on the first start when it's cold. I can restart after it warms up and I don't hear the clunk. Does the starter have to be replaced?

Do you have to pull the flywheel to replace the starter on a Craftsman LT 2000 mower? It has the 18hp Intek engine.
Thanks.

Answers

The answer is NO you dont have to pull the flywheel.Just pull the top cover take two bolts out disconnect the wire and reverse the order to install the new one :)

We have a older rear engine 36" cutting Snapper riding mower. It cranks and runs good. The moment the blade is engaged the engine bogs or slows down. It doesn't shut off, just slows really down. You can mow like this, but it takes awhile. We were wondering what could be causing it to do this? Thanks.

Answers

It most likely needs the drive belt replaced. It maybe stretched, especially if it has mowed wet grass

My Yardman 42 inch cut, 15 hp mower will not stop with key.

Answers

Could be many reasons-not enough information to offer help. Contact the manufacturer or the store of purchase.

I have a Walbro carb on an 18 hp Koehler engine. What would happen if the ground was not connected to the back of the carb?

My 14.5 Craftsman won't run without my foot on the clutch/brake. How would I get this to work?

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJanuary 8, 2013
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Lawn-Mower.html