Repairing a Nelco Sewing Machine

These vintage machines imported in the late 1950s from Japan were well made and can still be found stitching away in many homes. This is a page about repairing a Nelco sewing machine.

I have a Nelco sam3b-3 machine. When the reverse button is pushed in, it will sew in reverse. However when released, the machine will not return to forward sewing. I can manually fix the problem inside the machine to make it return to forward sewing.

Answers

Best Answer

This site seems to have the manual for these machines: www.sewingmanuals.com/.../Nelco.htm

Why won't the stitch length dial/knob from my "Nelco Sierra 234F" sewing machine move?

By Olga

Answers

Best Answer

We have the exact same model and problem. I (husband) fixed it by gently moving the nob with a plumber's wrench protecting it with a rubber thingy to open jars - not elegant but it works!

Now my wife will need a plumber's wrench in her sewing kit :-)

I have a Nelco Ultra Buttonhole that is frozen. This machine belonged to my mother. She was a seamstress and used this machine for years. I don't know how or what happened to the machine but nothing will move. The motor runs fine when disengaged.

By Jerry from Belfair, WA

Answers

Best Answer

You need to take this machine to a qualified repair tech - don't take it apart any farther than you already have and be sure you get all the parts to the tech or he/she will have to charge you to replace the missing parts.

I do vintage machine repair here in Scotland for my Sewing 101 students. I can't see anything wrong with your mum's machine from the photo you've posted - because the problem is inside, under the head cover.

More than likely the silicone on one of the gears has dried and cracked but without getting the cover off and being able to see the machine up close and in person I can't be sure.

Please. Save this gracious elder stateswoman of sewing and get her to a trained repair tech who has the skills, tools, and access to parts needed to keep your machine sewing.

I want to change the belt on a Nelco A-509-3 sewing machine I picked up at a thrift store. After cleaning it up, I was able to wind a bobbin, beautifully by the way, I have the bobbin winder back in the proper position. I threaded the machine, but when I try to sew on it, it moves very slowly even with my foot all the way down on the pedal.

I'm thinking that the belt might be slipping if it's dried out. The belt is encased inside the side of the machine and I can get the side partially off, but there is a button on that side for turning on the light. I do have a manual for it and there is nothing about replacing the belt. Thanks.

By Suzan

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not familiar with that make and model but after several years of doing vintage sewing machines (mainly Singers) I've learned if the user manual doesn't show the user how to do something it means the user shouldn't try to do it.

Take the machine to a qualified repair tech. Please.

A repair tech has the tools and knowledge to change that belt for you in under ten minutes. More importantly, the repair tech will know if the sluggishness of the machine is indeed the belt at all - thereby possibly saving you some fret and money - instead of randomly changing parts, by going straight to the problem, solving it, and getting your machine back to sewing, your repair bill will be lighter.

I am replacing the belt on my Nelco 1804B. How to remove the shield?

Answers

This YouTube video is for a Sears belt, but you may be able to adapt it to yours.

Anonymous

Thank you! Done.

I have an older Nelco 6915 sewing machine a that needs a new belt (maybe both). I cannot find anyone in my area who does repairs on older machines. I can't figure out what belt(s) I need as no place on line lists them.

Can you tell me what size and kind of belts I need and point me to a tutorial that I can order the part and do it myself?

Answers

Here is a video that says how to replace belts. www.google.com/search?q=Replacing+the+Belt+on+a...

Purchase the belt here. www.sewingpart.com/.../3496.htm

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesAugust 25, 2017
🎃
🌻