Repairing an Old Electric Range

Old white electric range.
Sometimes money can be saved by fixing that older appliance. This guide is about repairing an old electric range.

I have a Frigidaire range made in 1962 with model #RCIB-635-2. How do I get to the left rear switch? I have replaced the burner, but it will not heat. The light comes on beside the knob, but no heat. Can't get into it to see if it is the switch. Please let me know what to do.

By Carolyn from TX

If your range is electric, the burner might not be inserted exactly right. I found that out one time when I took my burners off to clean the drip pans. When I put them back in the slots, one of them wouldn't heat, and I was really glad I discovered the problem before I contacted our apartment manager and complained about it. The stove is less than five years old and I really didn't think the burner could be burned out already.

Call someone to fix it or ask them to tell you what to do to fix it, good luck.

I have a 2004 electric stove/cooktop and everything works great except for the broiler function which just stopped heating up. How do I go about checking to see if the broiler element is burnt out?

By Howard G.

The part is usually about 20 buck but you could take a tester and see if it is getting electricty but if you have the book on it you can see if there is a fuse for it. where they sell the part could tell you where the fuse if it has one is located.