Repairing an Electric Typewriter

Category Office
The electric typewriter has long since been replaced by the PC and then the laptop. Finding someone to make repairs can be difficult and expensive, you can save money if you make the repairs yourself. This is a page about repairing an electric typewriter.

I plugged in my Smith Corona electric typewriter (color gray and portable) into a 230 volt socket and it needs only 110-120 volts. It turned off suddenly and smells bad, but no smoke came out. It burned. It didn't burn like a burnt piece of wood. Can it still be fixed? If yes, what does it need to have replaced? There are a lot of electricians in my place.

By David from Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

Nope. You've fried the circuitry and modules. If you contact the company they may be able to send you new guts. Good luck!

My grandmother has a Silver-Reed 8650 portable electronic typewriter and I tried to use it. I've plugged it into 100V, 110V and 220V sockets and it won't turn on. I would like to know what would be the possible problems that the typewriter has.

Just as additional information, when I plugged it in there was no smoke and no burnt smell, but I am still guessing that the problem lies on the circuit board itself. Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

I love old typewriters!!! This one has a neat history...silverreedresearch.blogspot.com/

If you are handy, there are a few sites that may give you some repair insights:

typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1523

www.reddit.com/.../

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE8v5LK5_-w

If you can figure out what exactly is wrong, before you decide to fix it, you may want to consider going out to eBay and checking out the SOLD parts to see how much they cost...you may decide it is too cost prohibitive to fix.

If you decide to go for it and buy parts to fix it, sort your current eBay listings using the feature lowest price and then make sure you read the person's feedback before purchasing. Sometimes the cheapest price is a rip off if the person has poor feedback.

If you aren't handy, consider calling a typewriter repair company and asking their feedback on the fix. There are still some out there.

I don't know this one personally, but they have a neat website. Even someone out of town may be able to point you to someone in your town who can help.

www.phillytypewriter.com/

Let us know how it goes!!!

My typewriter allows me to type, but only half way through the first line of my paper. Any ideas as to why that is and/or how to fix it?

Answers

Best Answer

Your tab keys are probably set wrong. Reset the tab keys.

I recently got a Canon Typestar 10, but when I turn it on some shapes come up on the LCD for a few seconds then the shapes go away and it won't do anything.

My Brother Model 7300 electric typewriter powers on. The space bar, tabs, return, and shift all work fine. However, no letter or number key does anything.

This is the Correct-o-Ball xl-1. Inside it looks totally mechanical so no electronics involved that I can see. Any help?

Answers

Best Answer

Some of those keys may have dirt or crumbs in there. You have to take the key cap off to clean it. Here is an article that tells you how. https://www.jus  letter-keys.html

I have a Smith Corona SL500 electric typewriter that I haven't used since got computer. When turned on the lock light blinks. The manual is missing. Would any one have an idea how to fix or where can get manual? Thanks for any ideas.

a-frugal-lady from Lewiston, ME

Answers

Best Answer

Hello Frugal Lady,

You may just have a genuine antique on your hands.

I had one until recently and decided I would sell it, but I remember that light going on and think it may be the shift lock light. Try hitting the shift key.

Meanwhile, I did a Google search and found the Smith-Corona website that has some operating manuals:

www.smithcorona.com/.../Manuals.cfm?cfid=1805948&cftoken...

Check out the various manuals (you need Adobe to open the pdf's) and see if you find a solution. Play around with the keys. You probably can't break it! Before you do anything, first try shutting it off, unplugging it and doing a fresh start-up, just to see if it resets.

Good luck,

An old secretray who started out on manual typewriters in the 1960s.

I have a Triumph Adler Gabriele 9009. I haven't used it for about 15 years. I've just plugged it in and turned on the switch and it won't come on. I changed the fuse on the plug, but it still won't come on. I love this typewriter, can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.

I just acquired an old Smith and Corona Electra 220 typewriter and am hoping to get it in proper working order. The typewriter is in near perfect condition except for the fact that the "V" key does not work. If I press the key the arm does not move and the bit that holds the ribbon where the key strikes has a complete spaz. Interestingly enough, I can move the arm manually with my finger, but I can't move any of the other keys this way which leads me to believe that something has become disconnected. All of the other parts work well and if I can get this key to work then I'll have a great typewriter. Thanks for the help.

David

By David W.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
There is a bar that connects the key face with the finger key. You will need to look inside the typewriter and carefully reconnect them. You should see the "V" bar dangling inside and the hook to connect it to will stand out as different than the rest of the bars.
Good Luck!

My IBM Selectric just started acting odd. Once turned on, and when the carriage return button is pressed, the carriage moves all the way to the left and stays there, and the machine hums. Normal typing is impossible. Turning the machine off is the only "remedy".

What could cause this?

Answers

so the carriage return is sticking or freezing. I would look for a typewriter or electronic repairman who would fix it. This may be difficult or even impossible, but worth a try. Also try googling your machines name and you might get some advice especially if you add your town or city and country

Sometimes you can get very helpful advice from the original manufacturers if they are still about. I'd check to see if there are other extant makers of electrical typewriters. E-Bay might provide some leads.
Otherwise you could find an electrician who works with small appliances and ask him to have a go.
Sorry I can't help more.

Lots of good information at the following link, videos too:
https://www.goo  +troubleshooting
Best of luck.
EJ

Parts were no longer available for mine but a local technician fiddled with it and made it work. He reached underneath and pushed something up. When I retired he bought it from me for parts.

IBM Wheelwriter Series II lost memory, an acting strange. Is it beyond repair?

won't turn on!

I moved to France in 2012 and brought my Brother SX4000 with me. I only recently pulled it out and tried to use it with a converter US to EUR. the typewriter clicked and then powered off. Is it beyond repair because of neglect? Are the power sources not compatible with a simple plug converter? Do I need to get an actual amp converter? Any other trouble shooting you could recommend?

Thanks. It will be super hard for me to get it repaired in France and I don't want to buy one here with a French keyboard.

Thanks!

I have had this Brother AX10 typewriter for a while, but set it away for a time since I had a small child that hates the noise. I took it out today though, and powered it up.

Everything seems to work fine, except that the keys 3-C and 4-V do not work. I can press them as many times as I want, or as firmly as I want, but nothing happens.

All the other buttons happily comply with what I want, although the exposed ribbon was a little dry and needed a score or so keystrokes before becoming crisp and clear.

I have tried to pull of the keys and use the vacuum cleaner to get out some of the dust, spiders, and crap, but it has had no effect on the affected keys. I think I could clean the parts underneath, if only I knew how to open the thing. There are no screws like there are on a laptop to remove the keyboard from the rest of the machine, or to remove the keypad from the sensors below them, at least that I could find.

I have an old electric Olivetti. I was using my typewriter when suddenly the carriage got stuck and I was able to hear the motor spinning without it moving. I had to restart the machine, but this problem keeps happening, even 2 or 3 times a row. Sometimes the motor spins without moving after 2 seconds, but this also happens and the carriage starts to shake left and right.
What can I do?

I can't get the typewriter to come on or make any noise at all. Yes I've plugged it in and turned on the power button. Help! What could cause this?

My Brother, model GX 6500 electric typewriter powers on. When the machine is turned on it starts beeping, the car is locked, and no key works, but the whistle continues.

I have an AT&T electronic typewriter, model 6500. I turned on the typewriter with the carriage locked, now it will not type. There is a little window where you can see what you are typing and the letters appear there, but it will not type.
Any ideas?

Thank you.

Answers

You may need to replace the daisy cassette wheel.

My son was writing a research paper on his Electra 220 when the light on the machine turned off. It acted like it was off even though it was in the on position, and now it won't turn back on. It was plugged into two different outlets, still no power.

Answers

I think it's going to be hard to find a person to fix this and/or get parts. Try to find another electric typewriter at an estate sale. They should be cheap, as people are using computers now.

It sounds like the motor finally gave out on the machine and died. I'm not sure if this can be repaired or not. He can try taking it apart and seeing if he can check to see if power is getting to the motor of the machine. If not it is burned up. You might be better off checking online or at garage sales in your area for a new one.

I bought an AT&T model 5300 electric typewriter and when I started it up and began to type my name after the first letter the typewriter stopped typing. Then it started beeping and the only solution was to turn it off. Also, the right margin key and the tab set key would beep when pressed. The shift lock key lights up when a number/letter key is hit.

Answers

You could try oiling the key. Typewriters became obsolete. You may be able to find someone to repair. Even parts are hard to find. Good luck!

I'd try oiling it, too!

I have a Sears Electronic II electronic typewriter, it has the disc or wheel with type on it. It starts and everything seems to work when I hit any key the disc spins to the proper position, but the plunger that forces the letter to the paper does not move. It can be moved with forceps, but makes no movement when it is supposed to. Any ideas where to look? Thanks.

Answers

You might need a new print head. If you have the manual you can see the part numbers. You may be able to download a manual online if you turn over your typewriter so you can see the model number.

I have the model number but have been unable to find the proper manual. I will try to find a print head, thanks for the suggestion.

I've always been able to get help from Sears for any of their products so I would suggest you try them first and they also answer questions.

http://www.sear  ect/user-manuals

I have an Accent Remington 700 whose keys get stuck and repeat randomly. I mean the keys that get stuck are random and they type over and over without me depressing the key. Can it be saved?

The lower case "a" on this old typewriter suddenly stopped printing. When I type "a" another character is printed. Is there any way to fix this?

What is causing my platen to not automatically roll my paper up when I use the return?

The AT&T 5300 electric typewriter shift-lock lights up and beeps. The machine types one letter, but will not go forward. How do I turn off the shit lock and get the machine to work?

Load More
Home and Garden Repair OfficeJune 29, 2013
🌻
📓
🎂