Repairing an Electric Typewriter

The electric typewriter has long since been replaced by the PC and then the laptop. Finding someone to make repairs can be difficult and expensive, you can save money if you make the repairs yourself. This is a page about repairing an electric typewriter.

I have a Brother electric typewriter GX-6750 that I haven't used for a couple of years. It types great, except the letters I type in do not coincide with the letters that come up.

The 3 lines of letters, Q thru M, come out fkiN.nm:MaW;pctsulrbg,hoie. What the heck is happening?

Answers

Best Answer

Didn't know if I'd find something to help with your problem until locating this easy as pie how to directions from Brother typewriter. Hope this is helpful; if not, I'd recommend calling or sending an email to the company for additional help.

help.brother-usa.com/.../wrong-characters-are-typed

Best Answer

It appears that the daisywheel on the typewriter needs to be reset. The best way to do this is to look at the images from Brothers and follow these instructions. help.brother-usa.com/.../wrong-characters-are-typed

Answer this Question

48 More Questions

I plugged in my Smith Corona electric typewriter (color gray and portable) into a 230 volt socket and it needs only 110-120 volts. It turned off suddenly and smells bad, but no smoke came out. It burned. It didn't burn like a burnt piece of wood. Can it still be fixed? If yes, what does it need to have replaced? There are a lot of electricians in my place.

By David from Philippines

Answers

Best Answer

Nope. You've fried the circuitry and modules. If you contact the company they may be able to send you new guts. Good luck!

Answer this Question

I was typing on my typewriter when it got stuck moving to the right and acting like it is advancing the paper, but still moving to the right. How do I get it back to the right position and to start typing again?

Answers

Best Answer

There is a rail the carriage is on. It has teeth. If the teeth are damaged you will need servicing. You can read more here help.brother-usa.com/.../the-carriage-is-stuck-and-the-machine...

Best Answer

This can be an issue with the cable that controls the carriage return on the typewritter. You can check inside to see if you have any damage to the cable on the typewriter. If you you could have an issue with the teeth on the typewriter being stuck or broken. Normally these do spin around when they move from right to left. You can check to see if this is stuck or not. If you try to oil the machine and manually move the carriage this can sometime fix your issue. If this is not the issue then you may need to take it to a repair shop to fix.

Answer this Question

My typewriter allows me to type, but only half way through the first line of my paper. Any ideas as to why that is and/or how to fix it?

Answers

Best Answer

Your tab keys are probably set wrong. Reset the tab keys.

Answer this Question

My grandmother has a Silver-Reed 8650 portable electronic typewriter and I tried to use it. I've plugged it into 100V, 110V and 220V sockets and it won't turn on. I would like to know what would be the possible problems that the typewriter has.

Just as additional information, when I plugged it in there was no smoke and no burnt smell, but I am still guessing that the problem lies on the circuit board itself. Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

I love old typewriters!!! This one has a neat history...silverreedresearch.blogspot.com/

If you are handy, there are a few sites that may give you some repair insights:

typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1523

www.reddit.com/.../

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE8v5LK5_-w

If you can figure out what exactly is wrong, before you decide to fix it, you may want to consider going out to eBay and checking out the SOLD parts to see how much they cost...you may decide it is too cost prohibitive to fix.

If you decide to go for it and buy parts to fix it, sort your current eBay listings using the feature lowest price and then make sure you read the person's feedback before purchasing. Sometimes the cheapest price is a rip off if the person has poor feedback.

If you aren't handy, consider calling a typewriter repair company and asking their feedback on the fix. There are still some out there.

I don't know this one personally, but they have a neat website. Even someone out of town may be able to point you to someone in your town who can help.

www.phillytypewriter.com/

Let us know how it goes!!!

Answer this Question

We have a Silver Reed 2600. It worked fine when I bought it on eBay a year ago, but now although it still turns on, when you press the letters/numbers the keys don't move so it doesn't type.
Any ideas regarding how to fix?

Answers

Best Answer

Check to see if there in anything jamming the keys and if not then try and oil them if you can.

Answer this Question

I recently got a Canon Typestar 10, but when I turn it on some shapes come up on the LCD for a few seconds then the shapes go away and it won't do anything.

Answers

There are still typewriter repair places out there. There was a post from 2015 that listed some on this website:

www.justanswer.com/.../96abr-repair-services-old-canon-portable...

Perhaps you could contact one and see what they say.

My Brother Model 7300 electric typewriter powers on. The space bar, tabs, return, and shift all work fine. However, no letter or number key does anything.

This is the Correct-o-Ball xl-1. Inside it looks totally mechanical so no electronics involved that I can see. Any help?

Answers

Best Answer

Some of those keys may have dirt or crumbs in there. You have to take the key cap off to clean it. Here is an article that tells you how. www.justanswer.com/.../7ke94-electric-typewriter-letter...

Answer this Question

I just acquired an old Smith and Corona Electra 220 typewriter and am hoping to get it in proper working order. The typewriter is in near perfect condition except for the fact that the "V" key does not work. If I press the key the arm does not move and the bit that holds the ribbon where the key strikes has a complete spaz.

Interestingly enough, I can move the arm manually with my finger, but I can't move any of the other keys this way which leads me to believe that something has become disconnected. All of the other parts work well and if I can get this key to work then I'll have a great typewriter. Thanks for the help.

David

By David W.

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
There is a bar that connects the key face with the finger key. You will need to look inside the typewriter and carefully reconnect them. You should see the "V" bar dangling inside and the hook to connect it to will stand out as different than the rest of the bars.
Good Luck!

Answer this Question

I have a Smith Corona SL500 electric typewriter that I haven't used since got computer. When turned on the lock light blinks. The manual is missing. Would any one have an idea how to fix or where can get manual? Thanks for any ideas.

a-frugal-lady from Lewiston, ME

Answers

Best Answer

Hello Frugal Lady,

You may just have a genuine antique on your hands.

I had one until recently and decided I would sell it, but I remember that light going on and think it may be the shift lock light. Try hitting the shift key.

Meanwhile, I did a Google search and found the Smith-Corona website that has some operating manuals:

www.smithcorona.com/.../Manuals.cfm?cfid=1805948&cftoken...

Check out the various manuals (you need Adobe to open the pdf's) and see if you find a solution. Play around with the keys. You probably can't break it! Before you do anything, first try shutting it off, unplugging it and doing a fresh start-up, just to see if it resets.

Good luck,

An old secretray who started out on manual typewriters in the 1960s.

Answer this Question

I have a Triumph Adler Gabriele 9009. I haven't used it for about 15 years. I've just plugged it in and turned on the switch and it won't come on. I changed the fuse on the plug, but it still won't come on. I love this typewriter, can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

This Olympia Reporter electric typewriter was working perfectly when last used 25+ years ago. However, when plugging it in now and turning it on, there's a humming noise, but the keys only move up part way (ie.

not far enough to strike the page).

Does anyone have any quick fixes or troubleshooting ideas? It would be a shame to trash it.

My IBM Selectric just started acting odd. Once turned on, and when the carriage return button is pressed, the carriage moves all the way to the left and stays there, and the machine hums. Normal typing is impossible. Turning the machine off is the only "remedy".

What could cause this?

Answers

so the carriage return is sticking or freezing. I would look for a typewriter or electronic repairman who would fix it. This may be difficult or even impossible, but worth a try. Also try googling your machines name and you might get some advice especially if you add your town or city and country

Parts were no longer available for mine but a local technician fiddled with it and made it work. He reached underneath and pushed something up. When I retired he bought it from me for parts.

won't turn on!

Answer this Question

I own an electronic typewriter - Nakajima AE640 - which I bought in the UK. When I last used it it was working fine. I tried to use it again today and it comes out completely different from what I type.

Numbers 123 etc. come out as y-,1340562.X% on the first line of the keyboard. Qwerty etc. come out as rz;etc and the 3rd line of the keyboard comes out as: luphox!MK7.

Is this something that can be fixed and can I do it myself? It seems that the
daisywheel is not sitting correctly.

I would be grateful for some help.

Many thanks.

Load More
Home and Garden Repair Office TypewriterJune 29, 2013
🎃
🎂
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-an-Electric-Typewriter.html