My Electronic Typewriter Won't Turn On

My grandmother has a Silver-Reed 8650 portable electronic typewriter and I tried to use it. I've plugged it into 100V, 110V and 220V sockets and it won't turn on. I would like to know what would be the possible problems that the typewriter has. Just as additional information, when I plugged it in there was no smoke and no burnt smell, but I am still guessing that the problem lies on the circuit board itself. Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

I love old typewriters!!! This one has a neat history...silverreedresearch.blogspot.com/

If you are handy, there are a few sites that may give you some repair insights:

typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1523

www.reddit.com/.../

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE8v5LK5_-w

If you can figure out what exactly is wrong, before you decide to fix it, you may want to consider going out to eBay and checking out the SOLD parts to see how much they cost...you may decide it is too cost prohibitive to fix.

If you decide to go for it and buy parts to fix it, sort your current eBay listings using the feature lowest price and then make sure you read the person's feedback before purchasing. Sometimes the cheapest price is a rip off if the person has poor feedback.

If you aren't handy, consider calling a typewriter repair company and asking their feedback on the fix. There are still some out there.

I don't know this one personally, but they have a neat website. Even someone out of town may be able to point you to someone in your town who can help.

www.phillytypewriter.com/

Let us know how it goes!!!

It sounds like maybe the motor gave out? You might need a repair shop for this.

If other electrical devices work in those outlets, there is something wrong with the typewriter itself. It might have developed a short. Its not easy to find someone to fix these nowadays.