Fixing a Smith Corona Typewriter

Category Office
Even in this day of computers, tablets, and smart phones some people still like to use an electric typewriter. Repairing one can be a challenge, as you will probably need to do the work yourself. This is a guide about fixing a Smith Corona typewriter.

I have a Smith Corona Super 12 Coronomatic typewriter. When the X key is pressed the letter strikes the page repeatedly until the key is released. When you press the other keys they strike the page only once no matter how long you hold the key down. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

Answers

This is an extra feature that is for crossing out words. One would have paid extra to have the typewriter configured this way.

Thank you for your answer. You might be right about the customer paying extra for this feature. The typewriter also has a cursive typeface, I am sure that they would have paid extra for that also.

Anonymous

The ( x _ . ) are what we call repeat keys they are built like this, if you deep depress them they will repeat.
I know I use to fix them for a living many moons ago.

Michel

Anonymous

They are designed to repeatedly strike on certain keys. It has to do with the pressure and duration of the key depressing.

Mine does the same thing!

What if it's not typing across the paper as I'm hitting the keys? Could that be fixed/could I fix that myself?

I have a Smith Corona XL 2500 and I found 2 small springs inside the case when I lifted the top. Where do they go ?

My type writer was working one day and then next, carriage won't return. What do you think this might be. I don't like to type on pc. Want my 1989 typewrter.

Anonymous

This is not a defect, this is a feature of some electric typewriters to allow a user to "X" out text quickly.

I plugged in my Smith Corona electric typewriter (color gray and portable) into a 230 volt socket and it needs only 110-120 volts. It turned off suddenly and smells bad, but no smoke came out. It burned. It didn't burn like a burnt piece of wood. Can it still be fixed? If yes, what does it need to have replaced? There are a lot of electricians in my place.

By David from Philippines

Answers

Nope. You've fried the circuitry and modules. If you contact the company they may be able to send you new guts. Good luck!

Other than buying a new typewriter you might try a shop that repairs typewriters. They may have the elements to repair the typewriter if they think it is savlvageable. Of course you might try out the typewriter in a 110 volt receptacle to make sure the circuit boards are cooked.

Can it be repaired by an electrician? And by the way, my country uses 230 volts instead of 110 volts. I don't like to plug it in a voltage converter, it may get worse. I don't see any typewriter repair shops in here because its all computers and printers. You know that most of the old stuff is fading away from the world.

by David

I know what's the problem in here. I checked it a while ago and it was a fuse. Where can I get a fuse for this typewriter in Philippines? This brand is SL575 Spell, Right Dictionary.

Thanks anyway, I found a repair shop for my typewriter. Maybe I can convert it to 220 volts instead of 110 volts.

My "E" and "X" keys do not work. How can I fix those on my Smith Corona 220 automatic electric typewriter?

I have a Smith Corona electric typewriter that has recently stopped working. It turns on, but seems like there is no power going to the keys.

Answers

Typewriters are an obsolete technology, and you are going to have a heck of a time finding anyone who can fix it. Since you are asking questions online, why don't you just switch over to your keyboard and a printer?

Is this really your answer??

My Smith Corona electric typewriter was working yesterday, today the lock button is flashing & I don't know what to do or what it means.

I was typing on this machine when the print wheel opened up. I changed to a new daisy wheel and it would not type at all. The print hammer would not move to strike the daisy wheel. I even tried putting back in the old daisy wheel, but this did not work. Please help me figure out what is wrong. I use this typewriter almost daily.

When plugged in unit makes humming noise? What is the cause?

I have a Smith Corona SL500 electric typewriter that I haven't used since got computer. When turned on the lock light blinks. The manual is missing. Would any one have an idea how to fix or where can get manual? Thanks for any ideas.

a-frugal-lady from Lewiston, ME

Answers

Hello Frugal Lady,

You may just have a genuine antique on your hands.

I had one until recently and decided I would sell it, but I remember that light going on and think it may be the shift lock light. Try hitting the shift key.

Meanwhile, I did a Google search and found the Smith-Corona website that has some operating manuals:

http://www.smit … cftoken=72552408

Check out the various manuals (you need Adobe to open the pdf's) and see if you find a solution. Play around with the keys. You probably can't break it! Before you do anything, first try shutting it off, unplugging it and doing a fresh start-up, just to see if it resets.

Good luck,

An old secretray who started out on manual typewriters in the 1960s.

Anonymous

No longer offerred on the website

I have a Smith Corona xe6000 that powers on, but the carrier does not move to left. When you turn it on, it spins the wheel. The noise it makes sounds like the carrier is stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This was a gift from my late father. I kept it in storage for many years. It looks brand new.
Thank you.

I have a Smith Corona electric typewriter, the number 8 ad these keys o, i, & l will not type.

I have a Smith Corona H series electric typewriter. The typewriter ribbon doesn't advance when I type. It just stays in the same spot. So I end up with skips in the printing. How do you fix it?

By Dorothy K. from Bohemia, NY

I just acquired an old Smith and Corona Electra 220 typewriter and am hoping to get it in proper working order. The typewriter is in near perfect condition except for the fact that the "V" key does not work. If I press the key the arm does not move and the bit that holds the ribbon where the key strikes has a complete spaz. Interestingly enough, I can move the arm manually with my finger, but I can't move any of the other keys this way which leads me to believe that something has become disconnected. All of the other parts work well and if I can get this key to work then I'll have a great typewriter. Thanks for the help.

David

By David W.

Answers

Hello,
There is a bar that connects the key face with the finger key. You will need to look inside the typewriter and carefully reconnect them. You should see the "V" bar dangling inside and the hook to connect it to will stand out as different than the rest of the bars.
Good Luck!