Fixing a Smith Corona Typewriter

Category Office
Even in this day of computers, tablets, and smart phones some people still like to use an electric typewriter. Repairing one can be a challenge, as you will probably need to do the work yourself. This is a guide about fixing a Smith Corona typewriter.

Old typewriters can often be restored to working order with some adjusting or replacement parts. This is a guide about troubleshooting a Smith Corona SL470 typewriter.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Many people still use manual or electric typewriters rather than computers. It may be difficult to find a repair person, so repairs often fall to the owner. This is a guide about a Smith Corona Wordsmith 100 typewriter's hammer not working.

My Electra 220 Smith Corona typewriter has been working really well for over four years, but ever since I used it last in November, it turns on, but none of the keys work.

I can press them all, but nothing happens. The only keys that work are the half space, and the return key, as well as the shift key. Not even the power return key works, and none of the number keys work. They don't do anything when I press them, and I don't know why. How do I fix this?

Answers

Best Answer

You can start off looking at the ribbon and replacing this. Next, you should clean and oil the carriage return of the machine. Add a few drops of oil to this. If none of this helps then it has to be an issue with the print head. But considering you say the power key won't even work it leads me to believe that you have an issue with the carriage return on the typewriter.

I have a Smith Corona Super 12 Coronomatic typewriter. When the X key is pressed the letter strikes the page repeatedly until the key is released.

When you press the other keys they strike the page only once no matter how long you hold the key down. What is wrong and how can it be fixed?

Answers

This is an extra feature that is for crossing out words. One would have paid extra to have the typewriter configured this way.

Thank you for your answer. You might be right about the customer paying extra for this feature. The typewriter also has a cursive typeface, I am sure that they would have paid extra for that also.

Anonymous

The ( x _ . ) are what we call repeat keys they are built like this, if you deep depress them they will repeat.
I know I use to fix them for a living many moons ago.

Michel

Anonymous

They are designed to repeatedly strike on certain keys. It has to do with the pressure and duration of the key depressing.

Mine does the same thing!

What if it's not typing across the paper as I'm hitting the keys? Could that be fixed/could I fix that myself?

I have a Smith Corona XL 2500 and I found 2 small springs inside the case when I lifted the top. Where do they go ?

I plugged in my Smith Corona electric typewriter (color gray and portable) into a 230 volt socket and it needs only 110-120 volts. It turned off suddenly and smells bad, but no smoke came out. It burned. It didn't burn like a burnt piece of wood. Can it still be fixed? If yes, what does it need to have replaced? There are a lot of electricians in my place.

By David from Philippines

Answers

Nope. You've fried the circuitry and modules. If you contact the company they may be able to send you new guts. Good luck!

Other than buying a new typewriter you might try a shop that repairs typewriters. They may have the elements to repair the typewriter if they think it is savlvageable. Of course you might try out the typewriter in a 110 volt receptacle to make sure the circuit boards are cooked.

Can it be repaired by an electrician? And by the way, my country uses 230 volts instead of 110 volts. I don't like to plug it in a voltage converter, it may get worse. I don't see any typewriter repair shops in here because its all computers and printers. You know that most of the old stuff is fading away from the world.

by David

I know what's the problem in here. I checked it a while ago and it was a fuse. Where can I get a fuse for this typewriter in Philippines? This brand is SL575 Spell, Right Dictionary.

Thanks anyway, I found a repair shop for my typewriter. Maybe I can convert it to 220 volts instead of 110 volts.

My electric typewriter (the Smith Corona 240DLE) does not type complete letters anymore. I can't even type full words that I can read. I've read some questions on the site. It might be the hammer, and I might need a new ribbon, but is there anything else I should know?

I have a Smith Corona Electra 110 typewriter. Now when typing the carriage does not move right to left. Only the space bar moves it.

The typing keys strike and the ribbon moves, but the carriage will not move. Any fix? Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

There may be a problem with the escapement mechanism. I read how someone fixed it by soaking it in gas.

Step 1
1. Turn the typewriter upside down, remove the spring that's visible from the hole.

Step 2
2. Turn the typewriter back up, move carriage to the left and unscrew two outer screws from a set of three. Move carriage to the right and repeat.

Step 3
3. Lift the carriage off, turn it upside down and unscrew the plate where the gear is (four screws). The gear didn't separate from the plate in his case,so he soaked it in gas.

Step 4
After the part had been in gas for some time he still had to slowly rotate the gear back and forth before it eventually loosened fully.

I have a Coronet Super 12 typewriter that I inherited from my great grandmother in 2008 when she died. It worked then, but I didn't have much interest in it. I would like to use it for journalling, but some of the keys get stuck. If I hit 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Q, W, E, A, S, D, Z, X, or C, the belt around the small pulley, all the way to the left of the machine, stops moving and I need to turn it off, and roll the pulley back a tiny bit to reset it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My "E" and "X" keys do not work. How can I fix those on my Smith Corona 220 automatic electric typewriter?

I have a Smith Corona electric typewriter that has recently stopped working. It turns on, but seems like there is no power going to the keys.

Answers

Typewriters are an obsolete technology, and you are going to have a heck of a time finding anyone who can fix it. Since you are asking questions online, why don't you just switch over to your keyboard and a printer?

Is this really your answer??

My Smith Corona electric typewriter was working yesterday, today the lock button is flashing & I don't know what to do or what it means.

I have a Smith Corona Deville 450. Most things appear to work and it would be fine for filling in blanks on a form if you roll the paper manually to where you want to type, but it will not advance on it's own. The code + 3 does not appear to work for spacing between lines. It just retypes over previous line and will not advance to next line to type. Is there any way to fix?

I have two keys on the whole machine that repeat when you hold them down or just press them hard to make them hit, and (that's the joke). Any idea how to stop the repeating? How about the not hitting hard enough?

I was typing on this machine when the print wheel opened up. I changed to a new daisy wheel and it would not type at all. The print hammer would not move to strike the daisy wheel. I even tried putting back in the old daisy wheel, but this did not work. Please help me figure out what is wrong. I use this typewriter almost daily.

I have a Smith Corona Classic 12 with a broken carriage. It stays to the left, when I return to the right it does not stay. Do you know where I can find a video on how to repair it?

Thank you!

When plugged in unit makes humming noise? What is the cause?

I have a Smith Corona SL500 electric typewriter that I haven't used since got computer. When turned on the lock light blinks. The manual is missing. Would any one have an idea how to fix or where can get manual? Thanks for any ideas.

a-frugal-lady from Lewiston, ME

Answers

Hello Frugal Lady,

You may just have a genuine antique on your hands.

I had one until recently and decided I would sell it, but I remember that light going on and think it may be the shift lock light. Try hitting the shift key.

Meanwhile, I did a Google search and found the Smith-Corona website that has some operating manuals:

http://www.smit  cftoken=72552408

Check out the various manuals (you need Adobe to open the pdf's) and see if you find a solution. Play around with the keys. You probably can't break it! Before you do anything, first try shutting it off, unplugging it and doing a fresh start-up, just to see if it resets.

Good luck,

An old secretray who started out on manual typewriters in the 1960s.

Anonymous

No longer offerred on the website

When I plug it in and turn it on it does not make a sound nor does the lamp turn on. I know this typewriter worked before. Where do I even start? I know how to fix jams and broken wires, but I can not figure out what is wrong.

I have a Smith Corona Deville 650. Now all of a sudden while I am typing my letters all change. I can unplug the typewriter and plug it back in and it works for a few letters again. How can I fix this outside of buying a new typewriter?

I have been calling around trying to fix a 1960 Smith Corona silent typewriter. I've been quoted about 100$ just to fix a typewriter that I purchased for 20$. So now I'm searching for some guidance. I have a key that is broken. It is not necessarily the actual lettering, but the lever underneath the key. I hope I'm explaining this correctly. Also the keys get stuck when I press on them.

I have a Smith Corona xe6000 that powers on, but the carrier does not move to left. When you turn it on, it spins the wheel. The noise it makes sounds like the carrier is stuck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. This was a gift from my late father. I kept it in storage for many years. It looks brand new.
Thank you.

I have a Smith Corona electric typewriter, the number 8 ad these keys o, i, & l will not type.

I have a Smith Corona H series electric typewriter. The typewriter ribbon doesn't advance when I type. It just stays in the same spot. So I end up with skips in the printing. How do you fix it?

By Dorothy K. from Bohemia, NY

I just acquired an old Smith and Corona Electra 220 typewriter and am hoping to get it in proper working order. The typewriter is in near perfect condition except for the fact that the "V" key does not work. If I press the key the arm does not move and the bit that holds the ribbon where the key strikes has a complete spaz. Interestingly enough, I can move the arm manually with my finger, but I can't move any of the other keys this way which leads me to believe that something has become disconnected. All of the other parts work well and if I can get this key to work then I'll have a great typewriter. Thanks for the help.

David

By David W.

Answers

Hello,
There is a bar that connects the key face with the finger key. You will need to look inside the typewriter and carefully reconnect them. You should see the "V" bar dangling inside and the hook to connect it to will stand out as different than the rest of the bars.
Good Luck!