Determining the Value of a Silver Tray

Silver trays, if well made and the smith is identifiable, can be quite valuable. This is a guide about determining the value of a silver tray.

Determining what a silver tray may be worth without a stamp, may require some research. This is a page about find the value of old silver tray that don't have markings.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I find a possible value on a silver platter stamped:

R Wallace
0500-12
Silver Soldered
12 with not sure looks like 11T. in very small print after 12
THE ALBA

Answers

Best Answer

I do not think your tray would sell for very much if sold by "weight" as the buyer would only pay for the silver content and on this piece it may be very low.

• Generally, silver/silver plate/silver soldered pieces are bought because of the item and not the silver content.
  • A plain round tray may not be that appealing so just because of the style the value would probably be low.
  • Take a look at some listings on eBay and your will see that any sales are mostly for "character" pieces; teapots, fancy trays, bowls, etc.
  • This link has listings from January and the sold pieces have green lettering:
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&...
  • Here is a link with lots of styles in Wallace silver soldered: This site takes a few seconds to load.
  • www.antiquesilvercollectionforsaleed18.../.../wallace-silver-soldered.html
  • I would suggest you take your platter to a couple of larger pawn shops and ask how much they would pay you for this piece.
  • Ad

• Then you can add a few dollars to that amount and have a fair idea as to the value.
  • Hopefully, they will quote a high price and then you can decide what to do with your platter.

Where is the best place to take silver serving trays and other pieces to get them priced? I don't know if they're worth anything. I have accumulated them along the way. Some are my mom's wedding gifts (1944), some are from when my dad passed away (he found them left in the last home he moved into). I don't know how old they may be. Mine are from when I married in 1976. But the others may be worth something. They are labeled: Wm Rogers 171, Royal Rochester 3496, Webster Wilcox Oneida USA, Rogers and Bro. 1719.

By gayle from Rochester, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I'd take them to an auction shop, a very very reputable one. They should be able to tell you just about everything you want to know about them.

Silver hit an all time high a few weeks ago, so if you've got solid sterling silver, you've got a gold mine. If you have silver plate, who knows, maybe they're worth something right now too.

Good luck!

Can anyone help me identify this tray? I am interested in its history, value, etc.

Answers

It is hard to make out, but I am wondering if it is Towle. I would take it to a dealer for a free appraisal.

The symbols do not look familiar (the ones I can make out look like a hammer and sickle, an "&" and a snake. Can't make out the 2nd one from the left.

Towle usually has a Lion or a T (although they have a large number of marks) but those are the marks of theirs I am most familiar with, so I am thinking it isn't theirs, but stranger things have happened.

Any reputable place that buys silver can give you information on the marks (at least ours can--I frequent Treasure Hunt).

If it is true sterling, which I with marks like that it frequently (but not always) is, these are usually worth more for scrap than for selling, unless you can determine if it is a vary rare pattern and in pristine condition (which yours does not appear to be pristine).

Silver is a tough market. It has been stable as of late. I like this site to get my info on the market values:

www.macrotrends.net/.../historical-silver-prices-100-year...

Right now, I tell people unless they need the money fast, to hold on and wait for silver to increase again.

due to the quality of the images I would if I were you consider going to an antiques dealer and seeing what they think

I have a silver serving tray. How can I tell what it is worth? It's about 13 x 16 inches. It is stamped with: Rogers Bros. Made and Guaranteed by Mariden Company 295 1/2. Below that is a 20. It weighs 5.2 lbs and was dated and engraved March 15th, 1917.

By Pam N.

Answers

Your tray is silver plate not sterling. It's value would be in whether there are any worn spots where the plate has come off. The best way to find the value of this is from an appraiser at a good jewelry store. Another thing that would encrease the value is the pattern. Often people are searching for pieces to match others they own.