Determining the Value of a Silver Tray

0
Share
Save
Follow
Print

Value and Pattern Name for a Sterling Silver Tray - tray propped up on a counterI own a sterling silver platter that was left to me by my great grandmother. I know that it is sterling as it is marked so as well as having the mark for Washbourne, Graff & Dunn. It is also stamped with the numbers 8552/236. It is 15 inches and very heavy. I'm hoping to find the name of the pattern and the value of it.

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 168 Feedbacks
Best Answer

I did a quick research on Graff Washbourne & Dunn and learned they began silver pieces early 18th Century....so, your piece has a very old patina in comparing other pics of their work...I would suggest you do an online search for silver appraisals and send them a photo of yours. I saw a plate/platter similar to yours that has French influences; just a bit more decorative, but has the same motif as yours does. Good Luck in your researching.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks
Best Answer

If you are asking to get a pattern name, the numbers you have are the pattern. These pieces did not always come with other matching pieces...like dishes do, so if you are asking to try to by more pieces it is going to be a matter of search by the brand and the look to see if they made anything else that goes with it. Often they just made the trays since serving platters were quite popular in the early 20th century.

If you are asking for value to sell it, in probably 90% of my dealings with silver items, if it is sterling the value for scrap is typically more than the value for resale.

This website talks about your exact platter (from 2012) www.justanswer.com/.../74rpb-15-inch-sterling-platter-graff...

I would not use the values from then as silver values change daily, but it is in interesting assessment.

You can get an estimate of what it would sell for scrap by taking nit to a place like Treasure Hunt or a place that their only business is to buy gold/silver. OR, if you have a good jewelry store (not one like Kay's or that sell mass produced jewelry--but to either a family owned one or one that specializes in custom pieces you can see if they will give you scrap value. I suggest getting up to 3 bids, then try to list it on eBay at twice that and see if you get any nibbles. (Avoid pawn shops for the bidding process.)

I only suggest eBay ONLY if you are an experienced seller. If you are not an experienced seller, I don't suggest an online sale (too much chance for fraud that plagues new sellers).

Then I would suggest taking it to an antique dealer and having them consign it for you (if they think they can get you a value higher than scrap.)

Post back what you decide!

Answer this Question

19 More Questions

Hello Friends, I have this silver tray from my parents. I've searched online for the engraving with no luck. Has anyone ever seen this before? Thanks in advance.

A silver tray with handles.

A silver tray on a white surface.

The marking on the back of a silver tray.

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
Best Answer

It took some time to identify the mark on the back of your silver but I finally found it. There is a guide to all types of silver marking and I was not sure where this one was from. It gives you all the marks from around the world and by each country. I found your mark and it was made by Forbes Silver Company. The division of the company that created these silver items was founded in 1894 as part of the Meriden Britannia Co.

and this trademark was used until 1935. The company was located in Meriden CT in the USA. This is not pure silver but silver plate. You can find the silver plate mark on this page. www.925-1000.com/silverplate_F.html

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Well Poehere did all the work at finding the information about your tray but there is a Forbes Silver forum if you would like to ask further questions:

www.silver-collector.com/.../10043

Looks like Forbes only made silver plate so that question is answered.

You did not ask about value but usually that is the reason most people are asking questions about an item.

Here is a little information just in case you wanted to know about value.

eBay has several listings of different types of Forbes silver but a few trays also can be found.
Asking prices are only what a seller would like to receive for their items but only a sold identical item shows current value.

www.ebay.com/.../bn_7024792482

Here is a link to eBay's sold listings so you can get an idea as to what people are actually paying for similar items.

It is sad but most pawn shops will not buy silver plate either to melt or to sell.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_nkw=forbes+silver+co&rt=nc...

Answer this Question

I have a tray stamped silver by Boardman 1110. How much is it worth?

A silver tray with a leaf pattern in the center.

Answers

Best Answer

Can you please show the stamp?

Boardman does make sterling silver pieces (stamped Sterling or 925 typically) but they also make silver plated and pewter. It is hard to tell from the photo what you have, and I don't know of a mark they use just called silver.

If it is Sterling will be much higher than plated or pewter.

Thanks!

Answer this Question

I have a silver serving tray, and need to know how much it's worth.

Value of a Silver Serving Tray

Answers

Best Answer

In order to know the value of the tray there should be some marks on the tray to help out. They are normally on the back of the tray. You can also visit a jewelry store to have the tray weighted to determine how much silver is in the tray. The store owner should be able to give you a price or value of this item.

Answer this Question

I have had no luck on eBay or company websites since, they seemed to have closed back in 1958. Can you help find its value?

Value of A Silver Tray - silver tray with ornate edge and handles

Value of A Silver Tray

Value of A Silver Tray

Value of A Silver Tray

Value of A Silver Tray

Answers

Best Answer

Hi! Thanks for sharing. You have a Lawrence B. Smith Co waiter tray. Not sure the exact vintage--probably 1940s or 1950s. I can't tell if it is footed or not from the photo. It looks to be and some of those still command value.

Replacements.com can tell you exactly which one you have or you can search through their database on your own (put Lawrence B. Smith co waiter tray in your search).

Their asking price will be the retail value (like if you had a store or were a business). If you sell it to them or own your own--either to them or online, you can expect much less than that value.

I think it is hollow-ware silver plated, but I am not positive--There are a number of varieties of these and without knowing the exact measurements and if it is footed or not, I don't want to guess. Usually Sterling is marked, but not always.

Yours looks to be in nice shape so that will bode well for a sale.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing.

Answer this Question

I have a Cartier tray. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth anything at all. I did some digging & managed to find and old listing that sold, but the sold price was not revealed. I think the date is c1960, if I'm not mistaken.

The stamped markings included on the tray are: Cartier, Paris, Made in France, 925, & A Diamond shaped stamp. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Value of a Cartier Tray - rather plain silver tray

Value of a Cartier Tray

Value of a Cartier Tray

Value of a Cartier Tray

Value of a Cartier Tray

Value of a Cartier Tray

Answers

Neat item! Cartier items have definitely held their value and your piece is real silver as evidenced by the 925 stamp. That is sterling.

I am surprised on all the websites I frequent, I am not able to find a match to this piece to give you today's market value for use (not scrap). Are the handles lion heads?

Condition is everything with silver not sold for scrap and yours does look like it has some condition issues, which could affect its value on the market for someone to use it.

I suggest taking it around to the most trusted vintage/antique (even though it is clearly not an antique since it is from 1960) and have them give you a value for it. Ask for insurance value which will be higher than retail, but it will promote a discussion and you can take a percentage off for retail value if you were to sell.

They can also tell you how much the condition would affect the insurance value.

If the condition issue would detract from it enough, you would then want to look into scrap values. Silver is low at the moment, so you can watch it daily and when it goes higher, you can sell it that way if the "for use" value is low.

I would NOT recommend selling it online if you are a novice as many buyers would avoid a newbie to buy something so expensive. If you are an experienced seller, then go for it, but be aware there are many scams with sales of gold and silver where the buyer gets the item, claims the piece is fake (not real silver) and then wants to return it for a refund. Then they send you back a piece that is NOT silver and you are out the money and the piece. People are horrible.

This is best to sell through a trusted dealer, in person, cash on the spot. You may get a little less than "retail" but it will be cash in hand!

This is a neat item!! I hope you can get a tidy sum for it.

You do not state the size of the tray which is very important if trying to even find something similar. Do you happen to know the Troy or ounces weight?

I would suggest you Google pawn shops with your zip code and take your tray to a couple of the largest shops for a quote on what they will pay. This will give you the approximate value (the lowest you will sell for) so you will have a starting point. They will also give you the weight, which you also need to know. One of them may even be able to tell you more information about your tray.

You can try contacting Cartier for information or value but I do not think they will be of any help.

www.cartier.com/.../contact-us.html

You might also try contacting Replacements to see if they will give you a price (to buy) and if they are interested you would probably do well to accept their offer. You may need better pictures of the markings and the handles.

www.replacements.com/contact-us.htm

How can I find a possible value on a silver platter stamped:

R Wallace
0500-12
Silver Soldered
12 with not sure looks like 11T. in very small print after 12Determining the Value of a Heavy Silver Platter - round silver platter with decorated edge

THE ALBA

Determining the Value of a Heavy Silver Platter

Answers

Best Answer

I do not think your tray would sell for very much if sold by "weight" as the buyer would only pay for the silver content and on this piece it may be very low.

• Generally, silver/silver plate/silver soldered pieces are bought because of the item and not the silver content.
  • A plain round tray may not be that appealing so just because of the style the value would probably be low.
  • Take a look at some listings on eBay and your will see that any sales are mostly for "character" pieces; teapots, fancy trays, bowls, etc.
  • This link has listings from January and the sold pieces have green lettering:
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=R...
  • Here is a link with lots of styles in Wallace silver soldered: This site takes a few seconds to load.
  • www.antiquesilvercollectionforsaleed18.../.../wallace-silver-soldered.html
  • I would suggest you take your platter to a couple of larger pawn shops and ask how much they would pay you for this piece.
  • Then you can add a few dollars to that amount and have a fair idea as to the value.
  • Hopefully, they will quote a high price and then you can decide what to do with your platter.
Answer this Question

Where is the best place to take silver serving trays and other pieces to get them priced? I don't know if they're worth anything. I have accumulated them along the way. Some are my mom's wedding gifts (1944), some are from when my dad passed away (he found them left in the last home he moved into). I don't know how old they may be. Mine are from when I married in 1976. But the others may be worth something. They are labeled: Wm Rogers 171, Royal Rochester 3496, Webster Wilcox Oneida USA, Rogers and Bro. 1719.

By gayle from Rochester, NY

Answers

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 65 Requests
Best Answer

I'd take them to an auction shop, a very very reputable one. They should be able to tell you just about everything you want to know about them.

Silver hit an all time high a few weeks ago, so if you've got solid sterling silver, you've got a gold mine. If you have silver plate, who knows, maybe they're worth something right now too.

Good luck!

Answer this Question

When was this tray made and is it silverplate or sterling silver?

Identifying an Old English Silver or Silverplate Tray - ornate serving tray

Identifying an Old English Silver or Silverplate Tray - three masted ship mark on back of the tray

Looking to find value, maker, and year of items posted.

Determining the Value of a Silver Tray - ornate serving tray with handles

Determining the Value of a Silver Tray

Determining the Value of a Silver Tray

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles MiscellaneousJune 5, 2017
🎆
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-the-Value-of-a-Silver-Tray-1.html