AppliancesRepair

Repairing an Under-Cabinet Range Hood Fan and Lights

I had a handyman come in yesterday to look at one of the two lights in my under-cabinet range hood that wasn't working. He tried a regular bulb and it worked, but the special bulbs for the range didn't stay on when he let go of the switch, but if pressed in they did work. It appeared that the connection from the bulb was not quite reaching the clip in the socket. He went in with pliers to pull out the socket a bit and ended up with an electrical shock. The light that had been working turned off. I went to the circuit breaker, but it was not tripped. Now neither light socket or fan works, although the button you press for the fan has a tiny light when it is on does light up. Should I just replace the range (which I loathe to do considering that I rent and it would cost approximately $400 plus labor to get it installed. There are cheaper models, but they don't match what the landlord has installed and I would not feel right replacing it with a cheaper model or try to figure out and fix?

Yikes! Was the handyman a certified electrician? If not, I would call in a professional electrician to look at things. There may be a an easy fix. Good luck!

PS. Normally I would say to have the handyman make things right by you, but since it sounds like he had no clue, I would not want him back to touch anything! Oh my!!

I am not sure why this is your responsibility if you rent. Notify your landlord.