ElectricalHome

Replacing Electric Circuit Breakers

Category Electrical

How hard is it to replace a circuit breaker in the panel?

By John P

I hate to put it so bluntly, but if you have to ask, you should call in a licensed professional. If it's not done exactly right you are taking the very real chance of creating a serious fire hazard-surely not worth the savings to d-i-y it if you accidentally burn down the house.

Having a pro do the work will cost you around $300-800USD depending on your area but well worth the money. Your homeowner insurance policy very likely has a clause saying they won't pay if you burn down the house doing your own electrical work unless you are a licensed electrician.

There are books in the stores and libraries that can walk you through safely doing this job yourself, but they ALL have the disclaimer that you should have training.

It's not that expensive to take an adult ed class at your local college, give it a thought:) I took the classes years ago when helping my then husband reno our house and I had a total blast in those classes!

When dealing with electricy and have to aska question it is best to follow the previous posters suggestion to have an licensed electrican do the work. If it a matter of replacing just the breaker itself an electrican could do the work in a few minutes and check out your electrical system in a matter of minutes. The cost would be for a hours work and maybe cost $50 bucks. When I call my local guy for work two guys show up as they work in teams and the cost is always about $50 for an hour.