Using Fuse Boxes

Fuse Box
Older homes that have not had the electrical system updated may still be using fuseboxes rather than circuit breakers. This is a guide about using fuse boxes.

When repairing or replacing a light fixture or any electric job requiring the turning off of a fuse in the fuse box, consider this tip.

This summer while having electrical work done outside, we had to find out which fuse was the correct one to turn off. We put a post-it note on the door of the fuse box so we would not forget in the course of several days to complete the job. Since it was connected to things we needed to have operate when we came back inside the house each day, we would turn it back on and then off again the next day as we continued to work on it again.

Another good tip it to write on the inside of the cover plate the fuse each plug or outlet corresponds to in the fuse box. Makes it so easy each time you need to turn off power on your next redecorating job.

By Little Suzy from Millbury, OH

If your house use fuses, keep some fuses near your fuse box so you can easily find them if the lights are out. Always keep a flashlight in the same place so that it is easy to find when the lights are out. You can put luminous tape or glow in the dark stickers on the flashlight so it's easier to find in the dark. Also consider having your fuse box replaced with a breaker box.

When I run my stove or dryer I hear hissing coming from my fuse box. It sounds like a short. It begins as soon as I cut either device on and stops as soon as I cut the devices off. What could it be?

By Amanda

Best Answer

I'd call an electrician.

I was sitting at home watching TV when I heard a large bang. I thought a transformer was blown and called the electric company. That was not the problem. Supposedly the fuse was blew out. I turned them on. Everything was on, but when I went to turn on my TV it would not turn on, but everything around it worked. All my appliances in my home are on surge protectors. I went to check my other rooms and my xBox, karaoke machine, and computer tower all don't work. How can this be when everything else on the surge protectors works, but not them. I have plugged them into different sockets and still nothing. I flipped my fuses again on my fuse box, but still nothing. I'm at a loss.

Your fuse is blown go to your fuse box and take one out at a time and if its black in color is no good.