AlterationsClothing

Replacing Stretched Out Elastic in a Waistband

My mother-in-law gave me a flat front skirt with an elastic back waistband that has lost it's stretch. Her waist is 29". The flat front is 8". Would I cut a 21" piece of elastic and just sew it to the inside waistband over the stretched out elastic? The current elastic has been sew permanently inside the waistband so I can't open a seam and pull it out. Thank you for your help.

If you cannot take lot the old elastic put the new over it. Keep it mind it will be bulkier, so wear the tops over, not tucked in.

Is there enough fabric to just cut the waistband completely off and turn down the top to create a new one? I've done that with flannel pants that are perfectly good except that the elastic is stretched out.

I would look first for a seam and see if you can pull out the old elastic to measure it. The old elastic would have been stretched to 21 inches but would not have been 21 inches at its relaxed state or it wouldn't have any give to hug it to you. I am not sure I am explaining that right, but elastic has to be smaller so it stretches.

This link is long, but I think it explains it better than I can.

forums.threadsmagazine.com/.../waistband-elastic-formula

If you sewed 21 inches of elastic into the back of the skirt, where the old elastic is, the skirt will not cinch to your waist (meaning it would be like you didn't replace the elastic at all).

I always overlapped my elastic when I sewed, but I actually like the idea this person gives to add a square of fabric. I never liked how the overlap bulked up, so fabric would eliminate that issue.

Hope this all makes sense. Happy sewing!

Thank you! That makes sense and your link was very helpful too!

Hi,

I have had skirts like this, where the elastic is sewn in. I have sewed small bits of elastic, around the inside of the skirt, so it would have pleats, instead of using one long piece of elastic.

Blessings,

Robyn