Restoring the Shine on a Formica Countertop

I sprayed my formica countertop with a surface cleaner containing bleach and let it sit a bit too long (got distracted!) and when I came back to wipe it off, it took the shine off of the countertop in that area. Is there any way to get that shine back? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mary P

Answers:

Try a kitchen wax made, such as Jubalee (07/13/2005)

By Sonya Yoder

Gel-gloss is the best product I have ever seen for countertop restoration. It comes in a spray can or cream and is similar to car wax, in the way that it dries and then you rub it off. I hope this helps. (07/26/2005)

By Penny

Hi to all. I just tried "Armor-all" on my marble-looking formica and it really shines now! You can get it anywhere they sell automotive/car wax items. (02/20/2008)

By Susan

Well I'm struggling with my counter top, too. My sister actually refinished counter tops in 2 of her homes by cleaning the surface thoroughly then applying an acrylic paint with a swirl pattern. She did such a great job it looks like a marble counter top.

Unfortunately in the area we live, I'm not able to purchase this paint but larger cities should stock this item. Other than that, I've been reading, use an abrasive like Comet and scrub it down to an eggshell surface. I'm going to give that a try now. Good luck to all! (03/05/2008)

By middlesis

I, too, spilled some kind of cleaner on my kitchen counter. I just purchased a can of Countertop Magic FM44 at Ace Hardware and after 1 treatment it looks 90% better. I think one more dose will do it. Good Luck. (03/11/2008)

By Dee

I have used car wax on my Formica Countertops. I used NUFINISH. It brought back the shine. (09/25/2008)

By Barbara.

Don't forget to check the products you are using for toxins. Armorall is known to be very toxic...not what you want around your food or toddlers!

I have the same problem and have thought sanding them down with fine sand paper and buffing them with automotive medium grit compound then waxing.Also thought of painting with hardened urethane but my tops are matte imitation granite so thats a no go.

📓
🌻
🎂