Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

I had some celery in my fridge which had gone really soft and limp. I was complaining about it to a friend (since it was almost an entire stalk!) and he told me that the celery was just dehydrated and it was easy to get it back to its original state. Just cut the bottom of the stalk, then use a pitcher or vase, fill with water and put your celery in. Within a few days it will be crisp again! This can also be done with carrots (bottom part at the bottom of the pitcher).

I will definitely try it with other veggies. :)

Source: Tip from a friend.

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Answers:

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

If you wrap your celery in aluminum foil as soon as you bring it from the store, it will not go limp and will keep for several weeks. Just unwrap and break off the stalks that you need and then re-wrap the rest. Do not wash until you are ready to use. Depending on the quality of the celery, I have kept it up to 6 weeks with this method.
(03/19/2009)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

I have also revived limp celery by putting the stalks into water chilled with ice cubes. It works wonders too. (03/20/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Ahhh I just tossed out my limp celery yesterday! I will try this and Harlean's tip about foil. I love this site and all the great tips. (03/24/2009)

By meoowmom

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

I always seem to forget about the celery in the fridge before it is too late! I just wash, cut into sticks and put in ice water, crisps it right up! (03/26/2010)

By dwutz

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Celery is just a plant, so water naturally revives it. We used to keep it and green onions, and a few other things, in glasses of water on the dining table during Sunday dinners. We used to have fun with it too, sometimes adding food coloring to the celery water. (03/26/2010)

By Jron7667

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Thank you everyone for this "much need to know" tip about celery going limp. I've had to throw mine out. Will share this tip with others. I love this site.:) (03/27/2010)

By Raeb22

RE: Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

This also works with soft potatoes. just put em in a pan of cold water. (03/27/2010)

By beesulli@aol.com

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Harlean knows what she's talking about. I had some celery I'd had for a couple of weeks, then left to go on a trip for a little over a month, It had been wrapped in heavy foil, and when I returned it was still crispy, and lasted another week or ten days. It really works! (03/27/2010)

By WeeWillie

Reviving Your Limp Celery and Carrots

Sounds like a good plan Harlean. thanks. (03/27/2010)

By PamelaW