Russian Beetroot Borscht
There are numerous variations on the the recipe for borscht, or beet soup. This page offers a dish that contains beets, cabbage, potatoes, stew meat, and more. Give it a try; it could easily become a family favorite. Add a dollop of sour cream or yogurt when served.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Borscht is a hearty soup that comes in many variations, usually from the Eastern European part of the world. My mother travelled to Russia when she was in college and learned how to make this beetroot-filled Borscht whilst there. She's made it for us during the colder months all our lives and we absolutely love it. Comfort food at its finest!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb stew meat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 large raw beet, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats
- 3-4 whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 potatoes, peeled and halved
- sour cream or yogurt for serving
- Heat oil and butter to a large pot over medium heat. Add stew meat, onions, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, beets, and red bell pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add steel cut oats, tomatoes, paprika, and tomato paste.
- Add enough water to cover everything and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then add the halved potatoes. Cover and cook over a simmer for about 45 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Serve immediately in bowls. Top with sour cream or yogurt. Keep cooled leftovers in containers in the fridge or freeze. I find the leftovers taste better and better over the days to come.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.