February 13, 2012
If you want to decorate your home to celebrate Valentine's Day, why not have a go at making this rustic-style heart. It's so simple to do, costs next to nothing to create, and what's more you can use it again for next year's festivities, as well.
Approximate Time: 30 minutes plus drying time
- heavyweight cardboard, a piece from an old box is ideal
- fabric scraps, white or cream
- inks, water-based
- pair of scissors
- non-toxic glue
- Draw a heart shape on a piece of cardboard.
- Cut out the heart using scissors, as shown.
- Cut or tear a few strips of fabric. Wrap the strips around the heart and secure on the wrong side using glue.
- When your heart is completely covered with fabric, spray it with inks and let dry.
- Thread several beads onto a length of raffia and wrap around your heart, securing any loose ends at the back with glue.
- To finish, make a hanger using a length of raffia.
As an alternative to inks, thin some poster paints with water and splatter your hearts with this watery medium using a paintbrush.
Make lots of rustic style hearts and hang them in a porch or conservatory.
By Anne Davies from United Kingdom