SSI and Back Child Support?

I understand my SSI can't be garnished for back child support, but can the state of Oregon come after my bank account that my benefits are directly deposited in?


Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

November 3, 20180 found this helpful

This is a question for Social Security. Make an appointment with them

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 4, 20180 found this helpful

It is not possible for anyone on this site to answer a legal question such as you present because every state has a right to handle back child support in different ways.

I would venture to say that if you have a substantial amount of money in a personal bank account then you may be subject to the state/county making an attachment to pay for some of your back support (if this is who you were supposed to be paying child support through). How much of the money would be the next question because SSI is supposed to be for your care and it would appear that you may not need it if you have a large sum in a bank account.


If you have spent/used your back payment check and all you have in the bank is what is being deposited monthly then most likely the state cannot attach your SSI benefits.
Your ex-wife did not receive any money from your back payment check for any arrears in child support? This is what she probably could have done had she known to pursue it - and - if that money (from the back payment check) is still in your bank account then that money might be subject to attachment for any back child support.

As you can see; there are too many variables for anyone to give you any sort of advice. You should start with a visit to your local SSA office and then; if you feel it is necessary, you should consult an attorney.

If you cannot afford an attorney then you should consult someone at your local family services office. You can find their offices through a search on Google with your zip code.


Most people will feel that your children are legally and morally your responsibility and that you should be doing anything in your power to see they are provided for. Perhaps you have been unable to provide support in the past and probably cannot now if SSI is your only income but helping to provide for them as well as being a good father should still be a #1 goal in your life.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 8, 20180 found this helpful

it does not make sense that they could do that unless under very special circumstances or with a clever lawyer because if they could it would defeat the whole purpose fo protecting the SSI

best to check with legal aid or something first though

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 10, 20180 found this helpful

Oregon's laws around child support are very complicated:


I strongly recommend contacting a lawyer who can help you sort through everything. If you can talk to the lawyer that drew up the support papers, you won't have to start from square one with your history.

If you need legal aide, google your state senator's office and ask them to help you get a list of LEGIT legal aide services. I would never Google legal aide and find an internet lawyer. Too much risk for a scam.

Prayers for your family. Post back what you learn.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal Child SupportNovember 3, 2018
Father's Day Ideas!
Pest Control
Mother's Day Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-04-21 00:12:00 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.