Safe Homemade Tempera Paints

contest winner icon
When my kids were little, I did daycare. I soon found "homemade" supplies were cheaper and safer than buying them for crafts. I never had to worry about "not safe to eat" labels and the older children had a blast making supplies! Now I do them for my grandchildren!

Total Time: 15 minutes at the most

Yield: 3 pints

1. Bring water to a boil, remove from heat and cool till lukewarm, add oil to the cooled water, stir a little.
  2. Mix 1 cup of flour, 1 Kool-Aid package and 1/4 cup salt in a medium size mixing bowl
  3. Take 1 and 1/2 cups water and add to dry ingredients, stir until well mixed.
  4. Repeat with rest of water.
  5. Kool-Aid will add the color and scent to the paint, you can add a few drops of food coloring to enhance the color. You can also omit the Kool-Aid and use just food coloring.
  6. I put the paint in one jar without the food coloring or Kool-Aid, using only what I need. I purchased muffin tins from the dollar store, pour paint until about half way full, then mix in the food coloring. I always keep the uncolored paint in the refrigerator, stir a little before using. Also, generic Kool-Aid works just as well!
  7. Ad