Safety Tips for Jogging Alone

If you jog alone, there are some safety tips you can follow to make your run more safe. This is a guide about safety tips for jogging alone.

My close cousin is 15 and she wants to go running by herself in her neighborhood and her mom doesn't want her to go anywhere alone. My cousin wants to start running in her neighborhood so she can lose weight, but she doesn't have a cell phone (because her sister broke it). Is she too young to go running by herself? (btw she's never been anywhere by herself) except for school field trips.

By Cinnamon

Answers

Best Answer

At 15, in any ordinary neighbourhood, a girl should be able to go jogging on her own in the afternoon after school. In contradiction to one of the other posters, I have to say that sometimes moms do not know best.

Of course, she must do as her mom says, but her mom might have to be convinced that this is acceptable behaviour. As a mom, I would see no problem with jogging, nor with going downtown on a bus or subway to shop, or other places on her own or with friends.

There are many parents nowadays who are far too overprotective with their children. In my opinion, this mom sounds like one of them. Perhaps another adult like dad, or an aunt, or good friend might intervene on her behalf.

Best Answer

It really depends on the neighborhood. Are there good sidewalks or would she at some points be on the edge of the road? Also, her mom may be over protective, but she's still the mom. I find it much more enjoyable to exercise with a buddy. Any chance she could get a friend or neighbor to go with her? Or is there a dog she could take? Perhaps her mom would feel better if she ran with a neighbor's dog?

If it is a busy neighborhood and she will not be isolated in any part of it I think she could go. Provided her mother can trust her. However we all know teenage girls who like to leave the house and then meet someone or get in the car and go partying. But assuming she is really just running she should never go at night and she should not wear an IPOD because she needs to be able to hear someone behind her.

I made that mistake years ago. I had my headphones on and it was late evening. I ran under a street lamp and saw two shadows, mine and a man several feet behind me. That was the end of my night running.

Time for another cell phone. The one that broke it the first time should help pay for it by doing chores.