Saving Money On Oatmeal

Oatmeal is an inexpensive, wholesome grain that keeps well. This page is about saving money on oatmeal.

I am not my sharpest in the morning and I can use all the help I can get to start off with a healthy breakfast. I put together oatmeal and delicious ingredients into a mason jar in the refrigerator at night. It's a quick, healthy breakfast.

I think it tastes better than just cooked oatmeal too but without any pots and pans to clean up or the tons of additional sugar of those instant oatmeal packages. Great when you are crunched for time to get to work or school too!

Total Time: 2 minutes

Yield: 1 serving/can be multipled

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Optional
  • sprinkle of chia or flax seeds
  • blueberries, favorite fruit, raisins, nuts

1. Mix all ingredients together, cover with lid and shake until combined.
  2. Advertisement

3. Refrigerate overnight.
  4. In the morning, I have it cold or drop it in the microwave for 1 minute. I unscrew the plastic cap so it isn't tightly closed.

Oatmeal is a wonderful staple and great to have on hand for breakfast or baking. Here are some tips for saving money on oatmeal. Feel free to share you own.

Buy Oats Instead of Oatmeal

It's cheaper to buy oats than oatmeal, so get some (hulled) oats, pick out leftover hull pieces, soak overnight, then blend or sprout a bit and blend with a bit of water. It's higher in soluble fiber than rolled oats, tastier, fresher, but with the SAD (Standard American Diet) being so fiberless, may be an acquired taste. Cook to your taste, or dry into crackers, or serve warm.

By P

Instant Oatmeal

If you like instant oatmeal, check out the generic (store brands). They taste good and are cheaper. Here's a recipe for making your own instant oatmeal.

Frugal Oatmeal

I was buying the store brand instant oatmeal, or Quaker when a coupon was available, but now our family is cutting back on sugar. I buy the largest container of store brand Quick Oats, add my own cinnamon or chopped up apple, walnuts, etc, whatever you like to add. I put all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl add water and cook, put some low fat milk on it and enjoy. If you don't have time for breakfast at home, put the ingredients in a container and add water at work, then microwave. You just may have to do without the milk unless there is a small refrigerator at the office.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Buy In Bulk

Buy oats in bulk and save money. Warehouse stores usually have a great deals on bulk Quaker oats.

Easy to Make

Oatmeal with whole oats is easy to make (look for package instructions) cooks in 5 minutes and can be made on the stove top or in the microwave. This makes a good, inexpensive, filling breakfast with some raisins and/or nuts, sugar or honey and milk. Cook the oats, then add the raisins during the last minute so they can warm up.

Do you have any ideas for saving money on oatmeal? Post them below.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If you're on a time crunch and need to cool your oatmeal faster, you can add frozen fruits like strawberries, or blueberries. This will help cool your oatmeal faster while saving time!

Oatmeal with frozen blueberries added.

This is a page about homemade oatmeal recipes. A hearty breakfast cereal that can be enhanced in many delicious ways with fruits, nuts, spices and dairy.

oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingJune 3, 2012
🐛
😷
😎
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-On-Oatmeal-1.html