Saving Money on Apples

Category Fruit
Apples at Market
Depending on how you plan to use your fruit, there are a number of ways to get the most for your money. This guide is about saving money on apples.

Make Your Own Applesauce

Make Your Own Applesauce

Tips for Saving Money on Apple Sauce as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas below.

Make Your Own

If you find a good buy on apples, make your own. I particularly like making my own from apples that are a little past their prime. I put them in a pot with a little water without peeling or coring. I do cut out any bad places. Cook on low for awhile until they are cooked down and mushy. I then put them through my food mill, peelings, stems, seeds, everything, and very little is left after processing. (What is left goes in the compost.) I freeze my applesauce in one cup containers and it stays nice and fresh.

If apples are expensive, I buy the big containers at Sam's. After having a jar opened a couple of days in the refrigerator, I freeze what's left in one cup portions, or divvy it up in lunch size containers for my husband's lunch and freeze it. One of my friends says she never buys the big containers because it always molds before her family can eat it all and I told her to freeze it!

By Susan in Omaha

Local Orchards

Every fall I go to the local orchards in my area. I ask for "seconds" which are about half the price of "firsts". Nothing wrong with them, just not real pretty looking. I usually get three bushels of two or three types - Jonnygold, MacIntosh, and Jonathan. One bushel yields 14-17 quarts. No sugar added and I freeze it after it is processed. Start researching now so you are ready for next fall!

By Karen Sue

Add Fruit For Flavor

Make your own flavored applesauce by adding fruit, jam or jelly and spices like cinnamon.

By Jantoo

Buy In Bulk

If you're going to buy your apple sauce, buy the big jars instead of the individual sizes. You can then parcel them out to individual size, and/or add flavorings to suit your taste.

By Bailegirl

Feel free to post your ideas below.

If you want to maximize the amount of fruit you can get out of an apple, consider cutting it up before eating it. First, cut the apple from top to bottom, from the stem end to the blossom end. Using a small paring knife, cut a tiny "v" shaped notch at the top and bottom of the cut halves, removing the blossom end and stem. Then, using either your small paring knife in a circular motion, or a small melon baller, remove the center of each half, taking out the seeds. You will be amazed at how little you have removed, and how much edible portion you have left. Now you can cut it up for use in a recipe or just for a healthy snack.