Saving Money on Bottled Water

Category Tips
Bottled water is often purchased for its convenience factor. However, often times it is nothing other than filtered tap water. This is a guide about saving money on bottled water.

I use a Brita pitcher and washable bottles. My husband buys his water. You need to read the label carefully, or you may be paying for just tap water.

Words to watch out for are:

• distillation
  • reverse osmosis
  • ozonation
  • deionization
  • filtration
Words to look for are:
  • Artesian water/Artesian well water
  • Well water
  • Spring water
I decided to check out this bottle of water. It could come from either a deep protected well or the public water supply. There is no way of knowing. The water is purified either using reverse osmosis or distillation.

I'm going to show my husband this tonight. I think he will change his mind about buying water, or at least change the brand.

Source: Clark Howard

Everyone loves bottled water, but it can be quite spendy. I save old Gatorade, Powerade, V-8 juice (12 oz size), and other similar tough plastic bottles. I buy dispensed water for .30 a gallon in 3 gallon containers at the local supermarket. I fill all the little bottles and put some of them in the freezer and some in the fridge. This costs about .02 a bottle, depending on the size and we are not contributing to the landfill. The kids love them and if they don't drink it all, it doesn't matter.

By Cindy from Twin Falls, ID

Did you know that drinking bottled water is being labeled "decadent" because of the plastic bottles? Not only that but research has shown that most of the bottled water is just re-filtered TAP water! To get that bottled water taste from tap water - use an old NYC trick - put a container of water in the frig overnight to dispel any lingering chlorine taste, and then use your own re-fillable container if you are on the go.

With wholesale sales exceeding $10 billion dollars in 2005, the bottled water industry is booming. And it doesn't show signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I buy bottled water due to the tap water not tasting too great but I am wondering about a cheaper way to have good tasting water, I have looked into filters and it just seems like no matter what way I look, it costs me money. I have been all over this site looking for ideas? Please help, with summer coming soon we will go through a lot of bottled water.

Shari

Answers

By lparker. (Guest Post)

Our water comes from a tested well on our property. Many friends bring jugs to fill their bottles at home. If you find someone with a good well, get yourself a piece of water quality hose to fill your containers..not all hose is ok for drinking water.

You can buy one the pitchers from brands like britta to fit in your fridge. they come with a filter that is easy to take out and replace. The picture costs around 30 dollars and I think filters are around 10 a piece, w/ you only having to change them every couple of months. The water tastes really good w/ these pictures.

By Natalie (Guest Post)

Get a filter at Costco. It's much cheaper and more convenient than buying bottle water. You only need to change the filter every other year.

But you have to get it installed by technician initially then you can change the filter by yourself from then on.

By Debbie (Guest Post)

Save your bottles and refill them at water dispensing machines. It should cost only about $0.35 per bottle. Find them outside grocery stores, and sometimes even convenience stores. These machines filter the water for you.

By Syd (Guest Post)

I have tried this ... put a few drops of either lemon or lime juice in the bottle. I think it kind of neutrilizes the water.

You can't much cheaper than tap water and a bottle of concentrated lemon or lime juice!

I drink tap water w/ about 1/6 of a lemon in it. I like the lemon taste. For plain water, I use to buy nothing but AquaFina (my favorite) until I bought a Pur water pitcher w/ filter.

I only use the pitcher for drinking water so I don't wear out the filter too fast. It tastes fine to me & no more lugging home cartons of bottled water. It's also cheaper.

I went to Costco and bought the Britta pitcher. $40.00 And at Walmart I got a skinny water bottle with a spout and I keep that filled from the Britta pitcher so I have lots of cold clean tasting water on hand. The skinny water container with a spount fits in my fridge perfectly. Good Luck!!! Kathy3335

By Joelygirl (Guest Post)

My husband and I have 2 three gallon bottles, and we take them to Watermill Express, clean filteres water gone trough about 7 different clean processes. It cost us .75 cents per bottle and last's us several days. Also some larger stores have simmiler types of area;s where you can purchase water with your own bottle, usually near where they sell water.

By Vicki (Guest Post)

This is only an option if you actually need a refrigerator. I bought a new one with a great filter. I drink 2 1 1/2 liters of water a day plus I had to buy ice because I won't use my tap water for anything. I have a softener & I don't want the extra salt.

And I just don't like the taste. I've had the frig for 1 yr. & it's already paid for itself. If you add up all the filters you're using for those portable filterers plus the initial cost it's a lot of money if you go through a ton of water like I do.

By Karen (Guest Post)

I buy spring water in gallon bottles-less than a dollar a gallon and I keep 6 personal size bottles 1/2 filled in the freezer. I take one out, fill it from the gallon and have cold spring water until the ice melts. Then i refill the bottle from the gallon, pop it in the freezer and start all over again.

If you live near a QuikTrip store and you need some good clean water when you're on the go, here's a tip we use:

The coffee machines have a spout just for hot water (for hot tea, hot chocollate, etc.). The water used for these coffee machines have their own unique filtration system, so it doesn't hurt the taste of the coffee. Bring your saved plastic fountain cup from a previous trip and fill it up with ice from the fountain (also specially filtered). Then fill this ice cup full of the hot coffee water. Top with more ice if needed. It may look strange doing it, but it will be the cleanest and cheapest water you can get when you're on the go. I always keep a cup with me in the car and never do I have to pay for a fountain drink or bottled water when I'm going about town. I also use this method for filling up before my children's soccer practices and games.

By Nathan (Guest Post)

I use Watermill Express vending stations. They are really convenient, located in parking lots where you can fill 1, 3, or 5 gallon bottles for only 25cents per gallon...AND, unlike other self-serve water machines, these are serviced daily. The filtration system is second to none. This is a great way to get inexpensive, quality water.

Admit it - are you paying $1.25 for a bottle of water? You know the recipe - just refill the bottle. If your tap water isn't so good, get a Brita filter. Many people could save almost $20 a week on bottles of water.

By Louise, the Frugal Yankee

By Mary (Guest Post)

Make very sure you wash the water bottle thoroughly before reusing it! Studies have been done that found people are getting sick from reusing water bottles because they have not been properly cleaned. Don't rely on the dishwasher to do the job, The necks of the bottles are so small that the hot water and soap can't get into the bottle and clean. Best to hand wash with a bottle brush. I'm all for saving money, but do be careful!

By (Guest Post)

if anyone watched the 20-20 show several years ago, they wouldn't buy bottled water PERIOD
Read the label, most of it is gotten from city water supplies from different cities around the country..take a drink from your tap and flush the money down the toilet ...this is basically what you are doing buying water!!

By (Guest Post)

I bought bottled water by the case for years. Then it got so it was hard for me to lift the cases ( and expensive). SO !!! I tried another way that works great for me.
microwave a pot of tap water for 6 min.(bring to boil) set pot on the counter until cooled (all the bad tastes evaportate into the air) and then bottle and refrigerate. Tastes fine and is a lot cheaper.

How much money is spent yearly on bottled water?

Kareem from Bronx, New York

Answers

By Glinda (Guest Post)

I do 5 gallon refillable jugs. A one time charge of 2 -5gallon jugs, and a year supply of bottled water refilled at the store, (Walmart). Cost my family of 5 , $96.20. The second year only cost $80.20. due to still using the one time bought 2 -5gallon jugs. I will not drink our county water, and this is worth it for my family of 5. (my family drinks 1 -5 gallon jug a week).

By Julia (Guest Post)

Far too much. I grew up in a place famous for its bottled water. What they sell in the bottles is tap water from taps in the famous water area.

The reason that bottled water tastes good is because it is cold, from being in the fridge.