Make Own Bottled Water

Everyone loves bottled water, but it can be quite spendy. I save old Gatorade, Powerade, V-8 juice (12 oz size), and other similar tough plastic bottles. I buy dispensed water for .30 a gallon in 3 gallon containers at the local supermarket. I fill all the little bottles and put some of them in the freezer and some in the fridge. This costs about .02 a bottle, depending on the size and we are not contributing to the landfill. The kids love them and if they don't drink it all, it doesn't matter.

By Cindy from Twin Falls, ID

Please make sure when reusing plastic for consumption to only reuse HDPE #2, #4 or #5! All the others leach chemicals when reusing and cause numerous health issues including cancer :-( HDPE #2 is the safest!

Thanks, Deeli. I was looking for the info on which plastics were safe to reuse. :-)

I haven't done the math, but I bought a reusable 20-oz water bottle, can't remember where. We use the Pur faucet-mount filter, so are most likely equalling your $.02/gallon of dispensed water.

Plus, we have the convenience of not having to go to the grocery for our filtered water. I drink way too much water for that to work for us, and prefer the convenience of our own filter. Yeah, we're lazy.

Let's just do the math (common sense) here if it will leach chemicals in reuse then it will do the same in the first use because plastic doesn't know when it is being reused or new. If you buy gator aide in it and it leaches out chemicals in it, then I'd say stop using gator aide. I use tap water from my tab.

Better Living Frugal Living TipsMay 28, 2010
😷
🐛
😎
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf50256250.tip.html