Saving Replacement Buttons and Yarns for Clothing

Replacing a button on a shirt.
Frequently clothing items such as sweaters, shirts, and coats will come with extra buttons or small rolls of repair yarn. This is a guide about saving replacement buttons and yarns for clothing.

Often when you buy a sweater, jacket or coat, or other clothing, it comes with a couple of replacement buttons or yarn to repair a snag. These can be easily lost. I take mine and staple or tape them onto an index card (one card per clothing item) and write on the card the name of the person who owns the clothing and a description of the clothing, such as "Susie, red velvet dress with white collar". Then, I file them in a recipe style box. Each person has their own tab. Then, if I need to replace a button, or need that bit of yarn to repair a snag, I know right where it is. I keep the box in a cabinet in my laundry room. If the clothing becomes a hand me down after the kids outgrow it, the card goes with the clothing.