Saving Water When Showering

Category Water
There are ways to use very little water when taking a shower. This guide is about saving water when showering.

For those who are annoyed with a shower that gives you no option for how much water comes out of it (only hot to cold), you can buy these toggle switches. I got one along with a low flow shower head once, but I'm really not sure who carries them alone.

You can control the water flow with them; from full to a bare trickle. I usually turn it almost off when I'm shampooing and soaping and put it back on full when I'm rinsing off. It probably takes a 7.5 gallon shower down to 3 gallons or less! I'm still fully clean, spent the same time in the shower, but I used so much less water and helped the environment, too! Buwaaa!

By thintieguy from Los Angeles

Have you ever not had hot water one morning and wanted to take a shower? All you need to do is heat up a 1/2 gallon of water in a good sized pot or tea kettle. You need an empty and clean one gallon milk jug with the type of lid that screws on and not snaps on.

Heat up an ordinary sized nail by holding it with pliers over your stove element, gas stove or wood stove fire. I put seven holes in the lid by poking through with the heated nail. Six around the perimeter but not close to the threads and one in the center. If you have only a really small nail than a few more holes will be needed. The most important thing is that you have to fill your gallon milk jug 1/2 full with cold water first. Then fill up the rest with your really hot water.

Now the best method is the "Navy Shower Method". By tipping the jug, wet your hair first and then shampoo. Leave shampoo in hair and wet the rest of your body by repeatedly tipping the jug (to let air in so it will release the water). Now with a bar of soap and a wet rag work a good lather up and scrub yourself well.

Now with the remainder of the water in the jug (which should still have 2/3 left), start by rinsing your hair first. Keep rinsing with the remainder of the water to completely rinse off. Every time I have been able to take a complete shower with one gallon of hot water and felt very clean.

If you have a shower and only one tap, you know you get cold water or boiling hot before getting the right temperature. All you have to do is mark the tap with a marker or whiteout once you find the right setting you like. No more freezing cold wake up calls.

When I shower, I turn off the water while I lather up, shampoo my hair, or shave my legs. I'm amazed at the amount of water I save by only having the water on twice instead of running it the entire shower.

By Susan from Giddings, TX

I have always turned on the hot water to heat before bathing/showering. I then turn on the cold water to adjust to my preference. My daughter keeps their faucet adjusted to one temperature and then turns it on. To me, this seems like a waste of hot and cold water. I think it uses more water plus it takes longer.

So we have this disagreement in which way is the less wasteful. Turning on the hot water and then turning on the cold or turning both on until it heats up? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you. I keep empty containers to use for watering plants near by to catch any of the running water while it is heating.

By mkymlp

Answers

Anonymous

I don't find it makes a difference in the amount of water usage because the water has to run awhile before the water heats up anyway but that's just my experience with the hot water systems I've had.

Since you keep the containers close by anyway I suggest you try your way, while catching the water and then the next time try it your daughters way and then see what the difference is. It would be nice if, after you have checked it out, you would give us a report. (My bet is your way uses less water!)

I can't see wasting all of that cold water while waiting for the hot water. I think running the hot and then adding the cold is more economical and a time saver.