Saving a Broken Cactus

Category Cactus
This is a guide about saving my broken cactus. When a piece breaks off of a cactus, it may grow a new plant.

This is a guide about rooting a cactus pad. Many types of cactus propagate in nature by their ability to have a pad or segment grow into a new plant. You can do this too, at home, and increase your cactus garden plantings.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have had a cactus for a little over a year now. It has parts that stick out with fuzz and a fish hook on the end. It is barrel shaped, not very tall, and is in its own pot. A little while ago, it started to curve, and then the newly grown section fell off.

I replanted the top part it in a different pot, but I'm not sure what else I should do, and if it will die. How can I save it? Can I prevent this from happening? Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Cactus plants need a lot of sun and not a lot of water. If your plant is starting to drop off it is easy to plant them again. All you basically do is put them in a pot and allow them to root again. Cactus plants can easily root again as long as they have the right conditions to grow and root in. I cut off pieces of my cactus plants all the time and just put them in a pot. I give them a lot of sun and not so much water. If it rains a lot here, I don't water them again for about a week or so.

I just came home today to find out my cactus had been knocked over and broken. I don't now what type of cactus it is other than stating it is a desert gem. Is this guy a goner or can it grow back? Please help as I don't know much about cactus other than they need little water.

I had the cactus out on my back table outside to get more sun. It poured earlier today and I have feral cats and kittens that I think pulled it apart on me, this is how it was when I came home from work today :( Thank you for reading!

Answers

I'm not sure how much hope I'd have for this cactus but I always believe it's worth a try to save a plant. You might try gently repotting the pieces of your cactus and hopefully they will root.

I've had animals tear up a prickly pear cactus and several of those pieces rooted after I put them back in the dirt. Good luck.

Thank you for your response. So i lay the broken pieces back on top of the soil or should I try buring it down in the dirt? Also should the soil be wet or dry? I think the colored parts are dry now as this happened yesterday so i keep changing the paper towels. It has been hot at humid where I am on the east coast. Thank you :)

I would try to gently tuck the pieces into the dirt or cover them lightly with dirt. Keep the soil slightly damp, not wet, while waiting and hoping for the pieces to root. I'm hoping someone else will offer you more advice. I'm just sharing my experience and hoping it will work for you.

My dad, may he rest in peace, always had luck rooting broken cactus pieces literally by sticking them in the dirt and working some magic that brought them back to life. I so wish I knew exactly what he did but he was always successful and several of his repaired creations still live on at my mom's all these years later!

That said, cybergrannie mentioned in another post that she has been growing cactus (cacti ?) for years, so maybe she will see this post and offer you her expert advice!

Good luck!

Put some rooting hormone on the end and place it back in the soil.

My cactus fell and 3 leaves broke off. I'm so sad. Can the leaf regrow from the spot it broke off or could I grow the leaf? If I could, how do I do it.
Thanks. It's not mine, but my daughter's. She is on a holiday and I'm suppose to babysit it.

Answers

From Thriftyfun archives:
RE: Saving My Broken Cactus
I would really need to know how far up the cut was from the roots and how much was broken, like was there a 1/2 in cut in the side. If its almost in half best thing to do is cut the rest off, let the top half dry for about a month.

Where the top half was cut will form like a big scab which is what we want. Then you can plant that again, leave the other part that was plant alone as it will furnish you with "pups" when they are of good size you can cut them and plant. Where ever you cut let it dry out before planting. (02/11/2008)
By Sally E. Greer

Says you may even be able to graft the broken cactus back together.

Reference: https://gardeni  -a-broken-cactus

Thank you so much. I will let my daughter read this and follow your suggestions.

Thanks, I will ask my daughter to check it out.

i love cactus and no matter how gentle I am, I frequently break off a piece and have to decide what to do with it. Generally I just start a new plant either in a new pot or if there is room, in with the mother plant. The biggest problem I have is keeping appropriate cactus soil on hand as I have never had good luck with a homemade mixture (I'm sure others have).
ThriftyFun has some very good articles on "fixing" broken cactus and I have used these solutions many times.

Here are a couple of links that I think will help you and your daughter have a happy cactus again.

http://www.thri  oken-Cactus.html

http://www.thri  actus-Pad-1.html

I have a 3 foot tall cactus that broke off two large shoots. This may be a very naive question, but can I attach the two broken shoots with duck tape (haha) and will it heal itself and grown roots back to the base. Or should I go back to just repotting them? I know you are all thinking this girl is crazy, but at least you'll get a good laugh, but I thought to give it a shot! Help anyone?

By pixieduster

Answers

Great picture, pixieduster and great info, yakaback (not to mention great names for the both of you!)!

You can do whatever you want. Cacti can take anything except over-watering.
Out in the wild they get kicked apart by cattle or deer or tourists, and simply grow in multiple incarnations.

You can also duck tape or haywire them back together. That is usually done with huge, old cacti in hotel lobbies.

You can also graft them onto other cacti. Most cactus fanciers have one of those four or six sided column cacti sitting in a corner. They don't usually bloom, except for my dad, and are just plain and ugly columns. However, they are ideal bases for grafting. If you have a really delicate cactus, that just won't adapt to your soil, break a piece off that column, stuff it into the dirt and after a week cut it off a few inches above the dirt. Make a clean level cut on your delicate cactus, and set it on the freshly cut base. Take care to line up the central nerve bundles, and pin it with stick pins to anchor it. In a few days you will see that the hitch-hiker becomes lively.

Some of them can eventually, in a few years, be broken off and planted in dirt, but some will do better remaining on their host base.

Here is a typical example: http://dawna.co  white-flower.jpg

Have FUN!
DearWebby

The base below that Vivipara is called Harisii Jusbertii. For fastest growth in new dirt you can cut the bottom into a point, let it dry 3-4 days, and then jam the point into the dirt. Cutting the bottom into a point shape also helps to identify which end is the bottom.
Have FUN!
DearWebby

My cactus fell over and broke where the orange mark is (I was moving it a bit). It didn't completely get severed. Is there any way I can save it from dying? I've had it since it was 4in., it's now about 24in. big. Please help. This happened Jan. 30, 2008.

Fran from Canada

Answers:

RE: Saving My Broken Cactus

Not sure I have the answer, but I suggest re-potting it. The clue with cactus is, let it dry for a couple days, so it will root better! Cactus will start its own new root system.

About 3 years ago I harvested some "wild cactus" while on a trip to west Texas. It rode in the back floorboard, wrapped in newspaper, for a couple days before I was home to pot it in a sandy-type soil. But it "took" and it worked!

Also, I have a cactus plant that a friend shared some pieces of his with me. It was suggested by an older and much wiser friend to let the cactus dry out for a couple or three days, come to think of it, similar I suppose to what actually happened to me on that trip I mentioned above with THAT harvested cactus.

I took that advice, and this has become my very favorite cactus of them all, it's very beautiful and it rooted wonderfully and is thriving well!I really think you should repot it and let it make its own brand new roots. I simply do not think it will rejoin itself to the broken portion of your cactus. Good luck! (02/11/2008)

By themusiclady

RE: Saving My Broken Cactus

I would really need to know how far up the cut was from the roots and how much was broken, like was there a 1/2 in cut in the side. If its almost in half best thing to do is cut the rest off, let the top half dry for about a month. Where the top half was cut will form like a big scab which is what we want. Then you can plant that again, leave the other part that was plant alone as it will furnish you with "pups" when they are of good size you can cut them and plant. Where ever you cut let it dry out before planting. (02/11/2008)

By Sally E. Greer

RE: Saving My Broken Cactus

I truly appreciate everybody's feedback. I will try to apply your advise. I have a better way of understanding cacti now. Thanks. Fran (02/12/2008)

By Fran From Canada.

RE: Saving My Broken Cactus

Definitely let the broken-off section callus over and then plant in some good soil, a mixture of sand and some good potting soil or you can buy soil that is meant for cactus at Wal-Mart or any other nursery.

I've got several cactus plants just like yours and when they get too top heavy I cut them off and repot and like the person in one of the other posts said pups will appear on the base plant at the cut, which has happened on mine and then I cut those off. I know you probably were distressed because it broke off after it grew so tall, but look at it as gaining more plants.

My rule of thumb with any cactus or succulent plants is that if it has a secretion (pencil cactus has a milky white substance) or it's fleshy when cut to always let it dry out or callus over before planting. I don't know if you have any Sanseveria (mother-in-law tongue plants) or kalanchoes, but I've taken the blades of the Sanseveria and put them long ways half way in dirt and you will have plants spring up on the side of the blade and you can cut and pot them. With kalanchoes or any other kind of succulents (mother hen and chicks) with fleshy leaves, I've pulled them off of the plant and stuck them upright or sideways in the soil (best to use a mainly sandy soil) and that will produce another plant, some will produce roots and another plant with just lying on top of the soil. I've even bought succulents from the nursery and to my surprise I've had other plants in the pot starting from a fallen leaf on the soil.

Sorry, this got to be so lengthy, but I guess you can tell I love cactus, even though they're not so user friendly with the thorns. One more tip -- I use newspaper folder over several times and wrap it around the cactus which helps for the most part to keep you from getting pricked too bad.

I think your cactus will be just fine. Good Luck. (02/14/2008)

By Kay BAckhaus

RE: Saving My Broken Cactus

This happened to me, too - you should be able to take a clean knife and cut it off just above where it broke, let it dry for a day then place in some new cactus mixture, not very deep. Do not overwater and give it lots of light. This worked for me. Good luck. (02/17/2008)

By Judy

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes