Scalloped Cabbage Recipes

Category Vegetables
Slicing Cabbage
Make this delicious cabbage dish tonight to go with your main course. This page contains scalloped cabbage recipes.

This is a great recipe to make ahead and put in the refrigerator and bake later. It is also great heated up! I have four kids, two young adults and two small children. Two of them don't like cabbage but love this recipe. I have made this for about 10 years and everyone who tries it wants more.

Total Time: 1-1.5 hours preparation and bake time

Yield: 6-8

• 1 large head of cabbage
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 block of velvetta cheese
  • 1 package of smoked sausage (skinless or regular)
  • White Sauce
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3-5 Tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In large pot, put about 2 inches of water. I put 1 tsp. sugar in the water and bring to boil. Put in cut up cabbage and cook until tender. Drain off excess water and put aside.
  3. In sauce pan, melt butter over low heat, stir in flour until it looks likes a thick yellow paste. Add your salt and pepper. Stir constantly and add milk gradually, the constancy of the sauce should be thick, not runny. If need to you can use a container with a lid, put 1-2 tsp flour and 1/2 cup milk. Shake it up until it is mixed up and no lumps. Add mixture to sauce until thickened.
  4. In casserole dish, put half the cabbage in then put cheese then the rest of the cabbage. Cover the top with white sauce. I use a deep casserole dish with a lid but have used two smaller ones. The dish I use is 4 inches deep.

Note: You need to have about 1 inch from the rim of the casserole dish to the top layer of cabbage.
  5. Cut your smoked sausage across about 1/4 inch thick and place on top of the cheese.
  6. Cover with a lid or foil and bake until cheese is melted on top, usually about 35-40 minutes.
  7. Take out of oven and remove lid, let it set for 8-10 minutes and serve!

I love cabbage. I know lots of people don't, but I really do because it's very versatile. You can use it in so many ways. I think this recipe is one of the best ways.

Directions:

Cut cabbage in small wedges. Cook in salted water until tender. Do not overcook; drain well. Make a white sauce by melting butter, stirring in the flour, salt and milk. Cook until boiling. Place cabbage in a greased casserole, cover with white sauce. Top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 325 degrees F about 25 minutes.

By Robin from Washington, IA

I love cabbage in most any form, but this is exceptionally good!

• 1 lb. cabbage, coarsely shredded
  • 2 quarts boiling water
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup buttered cracker crumbs

Directions:

Cook cabbage in boiling water seasoned with salt and sugar for 4 minutes. Be careful not to overcook. Drain very well and place in buttered 2 quart flat casserole.

Make cream sauce with butter, flour and milk and pour over cabbage. Sprinkle buttered cracker crumbs on top. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Servings: 4-6
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

I love the combination of cabbage and Cheez Whiz in this recipe! Any cabbage lover is sure to love this recipe!

• 1 small head cabbage
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. Cheez-Whiz
  • 1 slice bread, into crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp. butter

Directions:

Chop cabbage in chunks; slice carrot and celery and cook in water until tender. Drain and save the liquid. Make white sauce of butter, flour, reserved liquid, and Cheez-Whiz. Pour over vegetables in 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish. Add buttered bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Drain blanched cabbage. Add butter, milk and cheese. Put in buttered casserole and top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees F until brown and bubbly.