Scalloped Cabbage Recipes

This is a great recipe to make ahead and put in the refrigerator and bake later. It is also great heated up! I have four kids, two young adults and two small children. Two of them don't like cabbage but love this recipe. I have made this for about 10 years and everyone who tries it wants more.

Total Time: 1-1.5 hours preparation and bake time

Yield: 6-8

• 1 large head of cabbage
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 block of velvetta cheese
  • 1 package of smoked sausage (skinless or regular)
  • White Sauce
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 3-5 Tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 cups milk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In large pot, put about 2 inches of water. I put 1 tsp. sugar in the water and bring to boil. Put in cut up cabbage and cook until tender. Drain off excess water and put aside.
  3. In sauce pan, melt butter over low heat, stir in flour until it looks likes a thick yellow paste. Add your salt and pepper. Stir constantly and add milk gradually, the constancy of the sauce should be thick, not runny. If need to you can use a container with a lid, put 1-2 tsp flour and 1/2 cup milk. Shake it up until it is mixed up and no lumps. Add mixture to sauce until thickened.
  4. In casserole dish, put half the cabbage in then put cheese then the rest of the cabbage. Cover the top with white sauce. I use a deep casserole dish with a lid but have used two smaller ones. The dish I use is 4 inches deep.

Note: You need to have about 1 inch from the rim of the casserole dish to the top layer of cabbage.
  5. Cut your smoked sausage across about 1/4 inch thick and place on top of the cheese.
  6. Cover with a lid or foil and bake until cheese is melted on top, usually about 35-40 minutes.
  7. Take out of oven and remove lid, let it set for 8-10 minutes and serve!

4 More Solutions

I love cabbage. I know lots of people don't, but I really do because it's very versatile. You can use it in so many ways. I think this recipe is one of the best ways.

I love cabbage in most any form, but this is exceptionally good!

I love the combination of cabbage and Cheez Whiz in this recipe! Any cabbage lover is sure to love this recipe!

Drain blanched cabbage. Add butter, milk and cheese. Put in buttered casserole and top with buttered crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees F until brown and bubbly.

Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesNovember 7, 2012
🌻
🐛
👒
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Scalloped-Cabbage-Recipes.html