Selling Valuable Book Set Online

I have a set of books I am interested in selling. They are over 230 years old and it looks like the best way to find someone interested in them would be some sort of online transaction or auction website. The name of the set is not really important, just note that they are very old and bound in leather, it is also a particularly large set. I suspect these books have value, but I am nervous about selling them to a stranger online.

How can I sell these books and rest easy knowing I won't be scammed? I am particularly nervous about receiving the money as I don't want someone to retract the payment somehow after they get the books in the mail. Any information or advice from people with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

By Isaac .

The best plan for you would be to take a few of the books to an auction house for their estimate of value and possible sale. This way, you will not be responsible for the actual sale, shipping (many heavy!) books and dealing with the buyer.

First of all, get a Paypal account. Paypal gives you buyer protection so no one can back out of a deal or refuse to pay without consequences.

You can make the buyer responsible for shipping but you must say upfront that the buyer pays the shipping costs.
You'll need clear digital photos of the book's cover, copyright page, binding, etc. and be prepared to answer questions.
If this is too much for you, it might be better to deal with someone in person. Use the internet to try to find a general price range for your books so you won't get "taken." Keep in mind that value will depend on factors such as age, condition and whether or not it's a first printing.