Separate and Turn Bread Slices To Keep Fresh

I live alone in central Mexico. As our "rainy season" has started again, I was fretting about my bread. The best I can buy is Orowheat sliced. I can only buy it once a month in the nearby big town. I had the bright idea to separate the slices, just like we do here with tortillas.

Be sure to change the touching face of each slice. I store the bread in its bags with ALL AIR PUSHED OUT, twisted and the whole thing put in a large, air-tight storage container. Works like a charm. Sometimes I do it when I start/open the bread and sometimes when the loaf is half gone. Both methods work suffice for the month or untill it's all used.

REMEMBER: Air is the enemy of your stored foods. Always push as much air OUT as you can before sealing any bag or container.

My Helgas mixed grain bread comes in a plastic bag container, should I leave it in the soft plastic container?

My comment is really about defrosting a loaf of Sandwich bread. When I get it out of the freezer I hang it by the tip of the opening, on a coffee cup hook. Leave it there until it is defrosted.

The edges doesn't get hard at all. Just as if were bought. I have done this for years. I buy a quality brand and when it's on sale I buy 4 or 5 loaves to freeze. There are two, sometimes three here at home.

There is just the two of us.
I have found that putting the bread in the microwave keeps it fresh longer ...up to ten days ... & no mold.!!!!

Food and Recipes StorageJuly 2, 2013
🌻
📓
😎
🐛