Sewing MachinesMachines

Serger Slows Down and Stops Sewing

I have a machine that runs good at first, but after a while it slows down more and more until it stops. Any tips?

It sounds like it may be overheating. Unless you know how to fix this, take it to a repir shop.

Thanks. That is what I was thinking too. Another thot is always good!

You probably need a new presser foot. I replaced mine when my serger and my sewing machine acted like that.

If you have an email address for the support department of your machine (brand?) you may be able to "verify" your problem and determine for sure if a repair service is necessary (but probably so). You can also Google your brand machine and look for their web site. Most companies will answer your question fairly quickly.

It sounds like your machine may need new brushes and it may burn up your motor if you keep using it.

I did locate a site with some helpful hints on troubleshooting a serger that you might like to keep for future reference (your problem is not common and is not in this guide): These are safe sites as I use them quite frequently.

www.the-sewing-partner.com/serger-troubleshooting.html

Here is another site that you can check your machine by brand name. It is a PDF but safe to use:

vw-superiorthreads.storage.googleapis.../.../EducationTopics.pdf

Either overheating or the belt is getting warm and stretchy and slipping.

this woman in this forum describes a similar issue, and there were answers: girlygothic.livejournal.com/182771.html

the consensus seems to be to take it into the shop

another interesting point raised was oiling it correctly, and also making sure there's no debris getting stuck there.

I don't know about sewing machines, but I do know that with computers you also have this problem, and the solution is that most computers come with an internal fan. Maybe the same for sewing machines and the fan is broken?

Regular maintenance for our favourite equipment is a good idea (in much the same way we go see a doctor for check ups). And, just like we choose healthy foods? Taking good care of that equipment helps it last longer.