Sewing Machine Slows Down

If your sewing machine slows down when you are using it, you probably have some friction being caused in the mechanism somehow. A sewing machine that slows down will most likely need to be taken in for repair.

I have a Singer 2623 machine. It starts out running OK (not really fast), but then slows down and almost stops. What could the problem be? And can I fix it myself? I have cleaned it. When it does slows down then starts going a little faster the light on machine kinda blinks? Thanks for your help!

By Dianne Morris M. from Columbus, MS

Answers

Best Answer

You have a wiring problem inside the machine and need to take it to a qualified repair tech. The speed controller (foot pedal) also needs to be seen by the tech, be sure to take it with you.

The repair should include a full servicing, and the cost will run you around $150USD (£125GBP). The servicing will be a complete cleaning, oiling, and check over for other developing problems - money well spent because that is a very nice Singer model.

Best Answer

Do you have a plastic foot pedal? I had a similar problem, and my foot pedal had to be replaced. I found a site on the internet that sold them and received mine in a few days; it cost under $30, including shipping.

The rubber thing inside it had a tear. Try googling it, to see if that could be your problem.

I have a Singer 6268 sewing machine. I push the foot pedal and the machine starts normally. After about 3 inches of sewing it just slows down and stops and won't go further. If I wait a few seconds I can repeat that process again and it will start - sew a little - then stop again. Any ideas?

Answers

It sounds like you have a problem with the wiring in the foot pedal. Unscrew the bottom and see if any wires are loose. You may have to purchase a new pedal

Thanks - I didn't see wiring to the pedal but it does have a hose for air. We were thinking it may have to do with th

at so, I've ordered a new pedal and hope that will fix it. Thank you!

Sorry you had to order a new pedal. I use a lot of YouTube videos to do troubleshooting:

You can start with this one and then find others that may be useful.

I have learned a ton from YouTube which for an old dog like me is cool that I can learn new tricks :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoiTEzRGKKE