Sewing Machine Needle Won't Stay Threaded

It is always frustrating to begin a sewing project only to have your machine stop working properly. This is a guide about sewing machine needle won't stay threaded.

I have an old Lemair Helvetia and the thread won't stay in the needle:/ I've tried making a longer thread, holding it for the first couple seconds that it sews and tension change, but the thread just won't stay. I need to finish off a dress by Saturday, panicking here!

By Nicole.P

Answers

Is your thread breaking? Old thread does that, if so, replace the thread. Have you checked your tensions?

I know it's too late for your dress, I hope things worked out for you!

Re the thread coming out of the machine needle, are you sure you're completely lifting the presser foot while threading the needle and/or adjusting the tension? Not lifting the pressure foot all the way will cause the thread to slide out when you start sewing because the upper thread won't properly seat in the thread path if the pressure foot is down during threading the upper thread.

Having the pressure foot in the up position relieves the sew mode pressure on the tension discs - permitting them to open properly to accept the upper thread during threading, and properly adjust the tension for sewing.

There are a lot of other causes for thread slipping out of the needle - incorrect or old thread, machine timing off, bobbin gear worn out, thread tension discs worn. If you continue having the problem you need to take the machine to a good sewing machine repair tech.

Make sure the thread arm is in it's highest position each time you stop. If it is, the needle won't un-thread when you start to sew.

This happened to me too, it turned out that i was threading the needle the wrong way, make sure you are threading you needle through the front and not the back

Hope this helps! :)

Thank you angel, you saved me 2 days of frustration ; every one suggested to pull the tread at the beginning , and that is not so, the tread jumped out of the needle during sowing after about the second stitch . You are a smart cookie, thank you.

Why does my seeing machine keep unthreading the needle as I am sewing?

By sc

Answers

Two possible reasons. One, your needle thread comes out before you begin because it's short and needs to be held when you start. The other is, you may have a small snag in your needle eye and it cuts it. The next time it happens, look at the end of the thread. If it look somewhat chewed...it's that. I hope this helps.

There are several reasons your sewing machine needle won't stay threaded, starting with the needle (as noted by the previous poster) is old and going through reasons like:

Wrong needle for the type of thread and fabric you are trying to sew

Upper thread not put through the machine threading path correctly

Machine tension set incorrectly for the type of thread, needle, and fabric you are using

Bobbin gear worn or broken (which prevents the upper thread from being caught by the bobbin during sewing)

Best solution? Check your user guide (aka owner's manual) troubleshooting pages. If you don't have your user guide, check the manufacture website, most have a free download feature for user guides. Print the guide and put it into a 3 ring binder to have at hand during a sewing session.

I had the same problem. Turned out when someone changed the needle, it was inserted with the flat side toward the front; in my machine the flat side goes toward the back. When I changed the needle to the correct position, it sewed like a charm. Could this be your problem??