Sewing Machine Needle Won't Stay Threaded

Why does my seeing machine keep unthreading the needle as I am sewing?

By sc

Two possible reasons. One, your needle thread comes out before you begin because it's short and needs to be held when you start. The other is, you may have a small snag in your needle eye and it cuts it. The next time it happens, look at the end of the thread. If it look somewhat chewed...it's that. I hope this helps.

Thank you soooooooo Mich I tried holding the thread but not to tight, when I let go after about two seconds the thread broke.

There are several reasons your sewing machine needle won't stay threaded, starting with the needle (as noted by the previous poster) is old and going through reasons like:

Wrong needle for the type of thread and fabric you are trying to sew

Upper thread not put through the machine threading path correctly

Machine tension set incorrectly for the type of thread, needle, and fabric you are using

Bobbin gear worn or broken (which prevents the upper thread from being caught by the bobbin during sewing)

Best solution? Check your user guide (aka owner's manual) troubleshooting pages. If you don't have your user guide, check the manufacture website, most have a free download feature for user guides. Print the guide and put it into a 3 ring binder to have at hand during a sewing session.

I have a brand new machine. I am getting aggravated why the thread keeps coming out.

I had the same problem. Turned out when someone changed the needle, it was inserted with the flat side toward the front; in my machine the flat side goes toward the back.

When I changed the needle to the correct position, it sewed like a charm. Could this be your problem??

Anonymous

thank you so much for that suggestion. I have and very old Japanese sewing machine with directions in Japanese and was having a lot of trouble.changed the needle and she works like a charm.

Anonymous

I can't believe this was the problem after struggling for months! Thank you.

I had this problem and read your comment and went "what the heck, I'm ready to try anything" and flipped the needle around. Worked like a charm! So thank you

Thank you thank you! Problem solved!

Thank you solved my problem :)

OMG..I was just about to throw my machine off my deck until I read your suggestion!! Works like a charm now, I am thanking God for you and the Internet.

So helpful! I thought I was going crazy. Wish Id looked this up days ago!

Anonymous

Thank you so much. My grandma passed a few years back and we took her sewing machine. I kept on breaking needles and it kept in threading.

I had to make some blankets for school and it kept unthreading. I gave up and hand stitched and that was hard so I tried again and looked on here THANKYOU SO MUCH.