Sharing Expenses After Marriage

I have lived with my boyfriend and his two children ages 7 and 12 in his house, that is paid off, for several years. We divide the expenses and he pays for the kids' expenses, electric, and some bills and I pay the groceries, cable, and landline phone. He pays for the taxes.


Keep in mind I have my own house that's paid for that I rent out, a job where I make double his income, and I pay the taxes there. My name only is on my house. I cook and maintain his house for all to live in, transport kids sometimes here and there, pick them up from school sometimes as he makes sure dinner is on table and clothes washed.

So, my question is once we get married, he wants to split his household and kids' expenses and then half of the house renovations (update furniture, countertops, etc. and repairs when they come up) and taxes and put this in a joint account. The house is in his name only and possibly his children.

I assume if something were to happen to him, they would get the house. Is this reasonable to pay for a home I don't own although we are living there as man and wife and pay half the taxes. We live in Florida so I believe there a equity law.


By Maria

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

January 22, 20140 found this helpful

Consult a lawyer to find out what the law says about joint property rights after marriage (or even after co-habiting). These vary by State and Province (living together here in Sask, Canada, for two years, gives you the same rights as being legally married, for example). You may have rights to the marital home even if it is only in his name. You need to find out what your situation is before you can decide on what is a fair way to divide expenses.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 22, 20140 found this helpful

When you are married, both houses will belong to both of you under the law unless you have a prenup drawn up. Although there may be differences with laws in Florida.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 25, 20140 found this helpful

I believe you will find that Florida goes by what is in a will or a prenuptial document so you really need to get some expert advice (may be costly!) before committing to anything.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

In This Page
Budget & Finance BudgetJanuary 21, 2014
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.

Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2019 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Generated 2019/08/28 18:45:57 in 757 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!