Shower Has an Onion Smell

Category Bathroom
Sometimes a shower can have an onion-like odor. A bit of sleuthing can help you determine the cause and remedy. This is a guide about cleaning a shower that has an onion smell.

When I use my shower, it smells like onions - not rotten onions, just onions. I rent my place. It was probably built about 1940 and has not been updated. Does anyone know why this is and what I can do about it?
Thanks!

K. from Davis, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Pour baking soda in the drain and heat vinegar and pour it in; removes odors and sometimes clogs. Also, there is a product called Odo-Ban, Sam's and Walmart carry it. Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Does your water come from a ground source? If so, and you don't get enough rain it can cause that onion smell. It happens a lot here and there's nothing you can do but wait it out.

The odor is probably coming up from the shower drain. My shower has a round screen that collects hair from going down the drain. I recently cleaned out my drain by removing the screen, and still found chunks of hair inside the drain.

You just might have to clean out the drain. If it's impossible to do so, report the problem to your landlord and let him fix it. That's what you pay rent for.

Try washing the shower curtain/door with some vinegar.