Simple Tomato Soup

We have an abundance of tomatoes growing in our backyard. A great way to use up most of the tomatoes is to make tomato soup! I paired tomato soup with with grilled cheese sandwiches, yum!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Total Time: 1 hr

Yield: 9 cups

1. Line sheet pan with foil and a little bit of olive oil. Slice tomatoes in half or thirds.
  2. Mince garlic, chop onion, dash of herbs on top and drizzle more olive oil on top.
  3. Bake at 450 degrees F for 25 minutes.
  4. In a stock pot, bring chicken stock to a boil.
  5. Add sheet pan of tomatoes, juices, dried herbs in. Along with fresh basil.
  6. Allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  7. You can use an immerse blender if you have one. Since I don't, I allowed the tomato soup to cool then placed in my blender.
  8. Blend until smooth and creamy (or to your desire).
  9. Once blended smoothly, I poured soup back into my pot.
  10. Ready to serve. Top off with crouton, parmesan cheese or your choice of toppings.
  11. For the grilled cheese sandwiches. Spread mayo on two pieces of bread. Over low heat, mayo side face down (slice of cheddar on top of one piece of bread). This will take 3-4 minutes. Then put the sandwich together.

I've made a similar soup with my tomato harvest in years past. I love baking them with the onions and garlic. It adds a sweet and savory flavor that makes it taste like a bunch of work.

When I blend my soup, I add in the fresh basil then. I like the green bits in the red liquid and the liquorice flavor doesn't cook out as much. I've even just added chopped basil right to the bowl.

I also like to garnish with fresh basil. I have also added bell pepper and it gives a nice roasted kick. :)

Anonymous

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It sounds and looks delicious. I cannot wait to try it.
Kindest regards,
Mic

Hope you enjoy :)

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableAugust 11, 2020
😷
🎃
🎂
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Simple-Tomato-Soup.html