Simplified Bicol Express
Bicol express is a traditional dish from the Philippines. The Bicol region is famous of its creamy texture and spicy flavor. This is a type of stew made from coconut milk, chilies, pork, shrimp paste and some other spices. This recipe I'm making is simplified with just coconut milk, chilies and some beans, but it still tastes the same.
- 250 g pork cut into small cubes
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup green beans (preferrably string beans) cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 Tbsp red chilies (you can always reduce or increase the preferred hotness of the dish)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Simmer pork meat in water and vinegar with salt and pepper. Wait until liquid reduces.
- Pour a small amount of oil then add the onion, garlic and chopped chilies. Saute the meat until it turns brown in color.
- Add the green beans and stir fry for a minute.
- Pour coconut milk and simmer until vegetable is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy your meal.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!