Small Black Nonbiting Bugs

I thought my kitty had somehow managed to catch fleas even though she is strictly an indoor cat. I've noticed her scratching a lot lately, but I don't see any flea symptoms on her. Recently at night when I lay on my bed I feel really tiny insects jumping all over me, but I have no bite marks. I did the flea water test but no fleas, just some bugs that look like fruit flies. Any ideas? It's really annoying to feel these things jumping all over you. I live in a ground floor apartment.

There are many conditions that people assume are cat or dog flea bites and itching. However, the bites and itching are often from many other bugs or conditions, including mites, mosquitos, dandruff or highly contagious skin mites (that do not bite but move in under the skin and eat the keratin, etc., irritating the skin). Some people try to cure itching and skin problems with one home method or another to save money but are usually unsuccessful because they do not know the exact cause of the problem, try useless remedies, and their cat or dog just continues to suffer. By the time they finally take their poor animals to the vet, the problem is much more serious and requires more expensive care. So they then complain about "expensive" vet care.

I recently read a woman's tip to prevent bed bugs from coming into her bed. She placed unused dryer sheets on each corner, under the bottom sheet. She explained that bed bugs do not like the smell of dryer sheets so avoid the bed. Bed bugs do not have the ability to smell anything as they do not have the required smell apparatus (my husband is an entomologist). Bed Bugs are only attracted by an animal's body heat so, as we humans spend alot of time in bed, the bugs home in and stay in our beds.

Please, if you are not absolutely 100% correct about a problem and cure for your pet, do not try strange remedies as the suffering continues, will become worse, and may endanger your pet's life!

Anonymous

It doesn't matter if your cast is strictly an indoor cat, she still needs to be treated monthly with a flea/tick repellent. My cat is also strictly an indoor cat and we right we could skip one summer... We couldn't. You could've just called the vet and asked if you needed to treat it and they would've told you YES! What you're describing sounds EXACTLY like what we went through when our at had fleas( they were only in the rooms our cat layed in, not bed). If they have infested your sheets, you have a serious problem