Social Security Survivor Benefits Eligibility

My grandmother passed away a little over 2 months ago and my grandfather went through all the Social Security mumbo jumbo with that and received the full death benefit check from the state. He has recently gotten a second check on his SS card for the exact amount my grandmother was drawing and on the same day she would have received it. Should he be getting this every month now? I've asked around and everyone says he does get the money, but I don't want him to spend it and then have to pay it all back. He barely makes it by as is.

He would need to call Social Security to be sure, but he could very well be drawing on her account.

As the survivor, he could a percentage of her check if he is not on social security yet. He cannot draw two checks. He needs to call Social Security

No one should be receiving 2 checks in their name. Your grandfather probably receives his own check and your grandmother (before her death) received a check/payment in her name.

What name is own the 2nd check? Most likely it has your grandmothers name and no one should be cashing a check (bank deposit even) that is intended for someone else. Someone may claim ignorance of the law/fact but that will not keep SS from getting their money back.

Please take your grandfather and go to your Social Security office and make inquiries because, at some point, this money will have to be paid back to SS.

Most likely the problem is the death notice was not received before the date checks/payments are scheduled to be distributed. SS checks/payments are paid for the month in which received (paid ahead) and SS will sometimes even send a notice to return the money for the month a person is reported deceased. They do not enforce this but they definitely will enforce repayment of her benefit as soon as all the death notices reach all departments.

Unless we are misunderstanding something, your grandfather may receive an increase (and it could be this amount) but you need to go to SS to be sure everything is correct. SS will not give you information unless your grandfather is present or he has given you a full authority POA.

I read it that the first check he got was her death benefit. So, if that were the case, he could be getting 2 checks--one for the death (a one time check) and then the monthly. Normally (at least in my area) they are direct deposited except for the death check, and the first one following. Then it switches over to the direct deposit. This is how we got ours after my first husband died, so it may very well be legit. Hopefully they have contacted social security by now.