Social Security Survivor Benefits for Students

We live in Florida. My son is 19, but is in his senior year in high school. Social Security sent a letter stating since he turned 19 in November he is no longer eligible for survivor benefits. It was my understanding as long as he was a full time student in good standing he would be eligible for benefits up to the age of 22.

By Sheila

If you received that letter I would assume the SS Office knows what they are doing. That being said, call your local office and talk to them. I have also heard of students being dropped at age 16, even though they are full time students and doing average to above work.

I am a retired SSA employee. In the early 80s, legislation was passed by Congress that cut back on many types of social security dependents benefits, including the one for full time students (used to be if full time in school/college could receive checks up to and through age 22).

Student benefits are now payable to elementary and/or secondary school students provided they are under age 19.