CornbreadBreads

Southern Fried Cornbread

I have been making this cornbread for many years and my family loves it. It is very simple to make.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15-20 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 14 pieces of cornbread

1. In medium mixing bowl, stir milk into the cornmeal. It should be a consistency that you could pour but not runny.
  2. Dip by tablespoonful and place into hot grease in skillet.
  3. Cook on medium heat until browned. Turn and brown other side.
  4. Remove from grease and place on paper towels to drain.
  5. Sprinkle salt on cornbread. Serve hot.
  6. Ad

7. It's crispy and yummy. Enjoy!

You can freeze the leftover corn bread and heat it for another meal. Prepare for freezing so the pieces will not stick together when frozen.
To heat, place the frozen pieces on a baking pan and set in a cold oven. Set temperature control on 400 degrees F and bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. When you see the grease bubbling around the edges, it is hot and ready to serve.

My recipe is a little different from yours, but I was making these fried corn meal cakes 60 years ago. They're gooder'n snuff and not nigh as dusty. So good with pintos or fried cabbage.

I noticed you put salt on the fried cakes rather than in the batter. I never heard of anyone doing this, but it could be a good thing if you're limiting your salt. A half teaspoon of salt sprinkled over all the cakes would taste just as salty as a whole teaspoon put into the batter.

Years ago, I discovered that if I brushed most of the salt from a saltine cracker, then made sure I put the cracker in my mouth salt side down, it would taste just as salty.

You probably knew that.