Spaghetti Squash Soup
Substitute spaghetti squash for the pasta in your soup for a delicious nutty flavor. Try combining chorizo, squash, garlic, onions, and carrots in a flavorful broth for a hearty meal.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
It's very common to use spaghetti squash as replacement for pasta. You've probably seen many spaghetti and lasagna recipes using it. How about using it to replace the noodles in your soup? This is a great way to use up your fall harvest of the delicious squash. Simmering it brings out the flavour of the squash into the soup, and the beautiful strands become the noodles to this hearty dish.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 8 ounces chorizo or crumbled sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 cups any type of stock (I used chicken)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Split squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place halves flesh-side down on a plate with a bit of water and microwave for 10 minutes. Allow to cool a bit then fork out the strands. Set aside.
- Heat oil on a large pot over medium heat and add the meat. Cook for a few minutes until a bit browned.
- Add onions, carrots, and garlic and cook another few minutes, stirring often.
- Add spaghetti squash strands to the mix. Stir well and cook for a few minutes. This will really help bring out the sweet, nutty flavour.
- Stir in oregano, chili powder, and paprika. Add some salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add stock and water. Reserve a couple sprigs of the chopped parsley for serving, then dump the rest in the pot. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Serve in bowls topped with some parsley. I like to serve it with thinly sliced crusty bread.