Squished Paint Artwork

Category Walls
This craft project is suitable even for younger children with supervision. Paint is applied to a piece of glass from a photo frame and then a second piece is placed on top and the paint squished to the edges. This is a guide about creating squished paint artwork.

Using acrylic paint and 2 old frames (with glass), you can create 2 fun, unique pieces of wall art. No art skill necessary!

Approximate Time: 1 hour (including dry time)

Take apart frames and remove glass from both. On spread out newspaper, carefully clean both sides of the glass (using gloves, if desired).
    *Remember, frame glass is unfinished on the edges, so be really careful!

1. Once the glass is dry, randomly squeeze colors of your choice on one piece of glass. (Have fun with this part, but don't overdo how much paint you apply, or you'll have a big mess!)
  2. Ad

3. Lay your second piece of glass over the paint and begin pressing the paint toward the edges of your glass. Once the paint is covering all four corners of your glass, CAREFULLY separate the glass without sliding the paint.
  4. Lay glass paint side up to dry. While the paint dries, you may want to spruce up your frame, mine were old wooden ones, so I did a quick coat of black paint.
  5. Some of my paint was transparent when it dried, so I used a piece of copy paper between the paint and cardboard backing of the frame. Secure the backing, hang and enjoy your 2 new pieces of beautiful wall art!

By jenn from Vineland, NJ

Top Comment

Jenn, What a cool idea! With "wow" results. Gotta try this one. Thanks for posting it.

Cute idea!

I really like the way these look, now I'll have to hit the thrift store on their 99cent day!

I think something else you could do would be to 'squish' the paint on the glass, then very carefully lay a piece of paper on the paint to transfer the paint design to the paper. Then you could use the paper to make things with. Have you tried this? I wonder if it would work.

I've seen that done with paint dropped in a basin of water, you swirl the paint on the surface and then carefully put a piece of paper on it, let it dry and can use it for wrapping paper.