Preventing Fingernail Biting

Category Nail Tips
Nail biting can be a very difficult habit to break. This is a guide about preventing fingernail biting.

Do you bite your fingernails? STOP! There's this nail polish called No Bite and it tastes very bitter and gross. Plus, it's clear!

Source: Twist Magazine

By vampvic77 from Wilmington, NC

How do I keep from biting my nails?

By Victoria from Wilmington, NC

Answers

Best Answer

I still remember what my 3rd grade teacher said to one little classmate..."You could plant radishes under those nails!" and I've never considered having a "dirt snack". That was 52 years ago and my mother-in-law stopped a life-long habit of nail biting after hear that.

Best Answer

Hello,
I always wanted to stop biting my nails too. I tired the easy acrylic way but that was just painful and bothersome (not to mention expensive) What really got me to stop was an idea from my grandmother. Just try to make one nail pretty. That's all. Just keep your mouth away from that one nail and wait awhile. There's no pressure and no bad feelings if you falter and bite one of the others. Soon you'll see how pretty your nails can be. I did and then I realized how much I liked how pretty that nail was and I started not to touch the entire hand. Then both hands. :) Now they're really pretty. (Also a smart girl told me to keep a nail file wit me at all times so I can even out my falters or snags).

I am a teenager and I have been a nail biter for about 9 years now and it's terrible. I just can't stop no matter what I do. I have not tried any special nail polish yet (because I haven't been able to find any). My fingers are so gross as well as the skin just over top the base of the nail. I need a solution to stop. I am so self conscious about my nails. I don't want people to see them so I try to pull my hoodie over my hands. Please help me.

Answers

I stopped when my sister got engaged. I wanted a pretty ring like hers. That was my motivation. You have to find something that will motivate you to have attractive hands.

Do you have a smartphone? There are many motivational apps out there (many for free, some for 99 cents) that help with this sort of thing. I've been using one for anxiety and insomnia and it's been a life saver. There are even ones targeted at nail biting like Stop Bite.

There are a lot of nail biting polishes (some people call these nibble inhibitors) available from Wall-Mart type stores, drug stores (ask a pharmacist if you need help) that are especially designed to help people break the habit of biting their nails. These work by placing a very bitter taste when you touch your nail to your mouth.

Placing band-aids over the nails during the day is also a good deterrent. Remove at night and reapply in the morning or after a shower.

You are not alone with a habit like this but there are probably trigger points that cause you to continue to do this so maybe you could try to keep track of what was going on when this happens (many times you may not even be aware you are biting your nails).

Here is a link that might shed more light on how to stop:

http://www.top1 … nail-biting.html

I stopped bitting my nails after watching nail infections on YouTube. It got me scared and I never bit my nails again.

Fake nails (gel, at a nail salon) are really hard to chew through. Why not give it a try? They'll not only help you break the habit but also give you a good idea how pretty your hands could be when your own nails have a chance to grow.

How can I stop my 5 year old son from biting his nails? He doesn't even realize that he's doing it, until I tell him to stop. He has bitten one so bad, that it was bleeding. I can't find the nail polish that tastes really bad to stop him from biting his nails, so is there anything I can do that is homemade? Any help at all would be appreciated!

Melanie from Ontario, Canada

Answers

You could try putting hot sauce on his nails but you'd have to be careful he didn't rub his eyes. You might try vinegar. Maybe wearing gloves would work.

Before you dip/paint his fingers, after trimming nails, take a new fine emory board and file downwards at the same time as OUTwards towards the tip of every nail, and from each corner INward, being careful not to OVER file them. Feel each one carefully for snags and missed places. Inform the child that should he feel them catch on fabrics, or get dry or long, to notify you immediately, purposing in your own heart to act quickly to relieve the child's
dilemma.

Then make a point to check the nails each week, doing the same thing for your child with the filing, BECAUSE most nail biting habits begin because the nails were too long, or the cuticles loose/ripped/dry, or the parent(s) won't take the time to oversee the child's nails. Use a good hand cream/lotion OR chap stick on each finger DAILY. Show the child what you expect of them and how to apply to each one, explaining that it needs about 15 min. to soak in and/or soften the fingertips.

Then, if this doesn't help a great deal, try harder to reduce the stress of the child. Next, make certain
the soap the child is using is liquid and for soft hands.

Most of the time nailbiting comes because something
is loose, brittle, broken, irregular, inflammed, and
neglected on children's nails, as well as the hand soaps are often too harsh, not helping the situation!

Try to analyze the possibilities before scolding or criticizing them, letting the chemicals be a last resort,
BECAUSE, even with chemicals, the OTHER original
reasons may still remain in place. Buy them special
hand lotion and place it besides their hand soaps,
instructing/permitting them to use a few drops AFTER
drying hands well when wet/clean.

As an avid nail biter when a child, teen, I can attest
also to the fact that my health was not the best. I needed regular children's chewable vitamins/minerals ("Complete" formula) DAILY. Watch that the child doesn't wear a lot of knits, woolens, and loose weave cloth or socks.

Often times the parents don't place enough value on this simple problem which then turns into a habit.
Most nailbiters can be helped early on.

These are important lessons to help the child to develop good hygeine and grooming for all of his life. It can be a good and quality time of togetherness. Be sure to reassure, respect them for telling you of their need, and talk positively along with the lesson.

Good luck, Merry Messiahmas/Christmas, and God bless you as you steward your child. : )

Good luck with your son. I bit my nails when I was a child and no matter what my parents did I could not stop. They tried bribing me, embarrassing me, painting my nails with that awful stuff and even red nail polish so I'd notice my nails but nothing helped. When I was in my late teens I met someone that I cared a great deal about and he used to play with my nails as we held hands. I didn't want him to notice my ugly nails so I just quit biting them. It was easy to quit because I wanted to, not someone else making me stop. You have to find a way to make your son want to stop for himself. Oh by the way, I married that wonderful man 29 years ago.

My daughter used to bite her nails when she was little. The way I got her to stop was to allow her to bite nine nails and leave one untouched[she could pick the nail not to bite] then eight, then seven and so on, she is now all grown up with nails that everyone admires

I am glad this subject was posted as my 6 1/2 yr old son bites his nails very badly. He was adopted from Russia and was born quite premature. He has sensory problems and delays. He's always liked putting things in his mouth and has a need to chew on things so it didn't surprise me he started chewing his fingernails. I've also seen him bite his toenails as well! His fingernails look so bad and are just down to the quick and sometimes bleed. I'm not sure if he will understand if I try to explain why he shouldn't do it. I thought of doing the hot sauce but it would be terrible then if he rubbed his eyes so I'd better not try it.

I will read all the posts better and hope someone might have more answers.

Plain rubbing alcohol tastes really vile. You just need to reapply after each handwashing. But, the bottom line is-does he want to stop?

First figure out why he's biting them. Is it just a habit or does he do it as a coping mechanism. If it is to cope when he's stressed, help him with other options or he could develop a worse habit. If it's just a bad habit, I like some of the ideas that are a little more gentle.

Break and rub a bird's eye chilli over his nails. You will need to do this several times a day, especially if he washes his hands a lot.

I've been biting my nails for years, they are a disgrace and I am embarrassed. I have sent an image. Please can you help me?

Answers

There is actually a product that you can brush on your nails that tastes bitter. It is supposed to help stop the habit. A friend of mine broke her habit by brushing on hot pepper juice. As soon as her nails got into her mouth, it burned and she would pull it back out. However, you have to reapply often, and watch that you don't get it into your eyes.
If you are doing it from anxiety or nerves, talk to your doctor. A small dose of xanax might help take the edge off.

Another thing you can try is to actually wear fake acrylic fingernails. They will look nicer which will motivate you to stop biting, but also simply you will not be able to eat plastic nails, plus encountering the plastic nails will be a reminder and deterrent

Something that people do is wear a rubber band around their wrist and snap it every time they are about to bite their nails.

If you have the $ and inclination I would recommend a hypnotherapist, or find a meditation hypnosis video on YouTube. https://m.youtu  ch?v=614SEVTUYRk
These sessions are remarkably helpful and you would be surprised how much easier it makes it for you

These sorts of habits are horrifically insidious and hard to get rid of. No use feeling angry ashamed or irritated at yourself. The only useful approach is to COMMIT to changing or habits, and BELIEVING you can accomplish it, no matter how long it takes. Once y have the certainty the rest is manageable.

My nails looked the same as a teenager. Then my sister got engaged. My mother said that no one would waste money on an engagement ring for me with my hands looking like they did. That was the motivation for me to stop. So think of a pretty ring you will reward yourself with when you kick the habit. Cut out pictures of rings and put them on a bulletin board or on your refrigerator to remind you.

This is a nervous habit from an excess of stress.
Have you tried SSRIs for anxiety at all? Any obsession, such as nail biting, eating hair, scratching causing bleeding, etc. is usually treated with this medication.

my DIL used a product on my granadaughters nails that tasted terrible to get her to stop. it worked !!..
https://www.ama  _sl_5h4ia2vve4_b this site shows different brands good luck

Can anybody help me find a way to stop biting my nails and allowing them to grow healthily?

By Latoya from Eastbound, Trinidad

Answers:

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

Find some special occasion that you would like to have nice long nails for and decide to quit biting them so that they will be long for that occasion. I bit my nails all my life until I was 16 and then I decided I wanted them long for the junior-senior prom and I had long nails for that and have had them ever since. (08/24/2010)

By redhatterb

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

Biting nails is partially a deficiency. I don't remember anymore which vitamin it is based on, but I am sure with a little Googling you can find out. My daughter used to bite her nails and I seem to remember my wife telling her to get a spoonful of peanut butter when ever she felt like biting her nails. Just some info, don't know if it will help you out, but better than nothing. (08/24/2010)

By Suntydt

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

There's a special polish to use that will taste nasty to your taste buds. Sally's Beauty store carries it I think. (08/24/2010)

By holybible

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

Oil of cloves, purchased in a small bottle from a pharmacy or grocery store should do the trick. Just paint it on. One nibble and you'll never want to taste it again! Good luck. (08/27/2010)

By Heather

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

It might help to remind yourself that in 6 weeks your nails will look as though you never bit them. They won't be really long, but they will look nice. (08/27/2010)

By Ann Parker

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

I was a bad nail biter (to where they would sometimes bleed from biting them down too far) until I started Cosmetology School when I was sixteen. The first time I shampooed someone else's hair grossed me out so badly with the thought of all the icky dirt and bacteria that ends up on our hands and fingers that it cured me then and there!

I had a friend who quit by lightly dabbing her fingertips with cologne because it tasted nasty and would leave a bitter taste in her mouth for a long time even if rinsing with water afterwards. ;-) (08/27/2010)

By Deeli

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

One suggestion is to buy a real pretty pair of gloves and wear them when you're most tempted to bite your nails. I bit my nails until I was 16 years old. A friend of mine in high school had the most beautiful nails, and one day I decided that I was going to have pretty nails just like hers. Seeing her nails was enough to motivate me to stop biting mine. Ever since then, I have had tons of compliments on my pretty fingernails. Believe me, it is well worth the effort to stop biting them. (08/27/2010)

By kitkatk100

How Can I Stop Biting My Nails?

Onychophagia is compulsive nail biting which can be treated through behavioral therapy modification through psychotherapy, or medication (B-vitamin inositol). (10/13/2010)

By uschica