Baking & DessertsRecipes

Substitute for Mushrooms in Chicken and Mushroom Pie

I really would like to make chicken and mushroom pie, but mushrooms are a fungus so I only have them as a pizza topping. Can anyone give me a substitute for mushrooms? By the way can you not give me other websites to go on because they don't ever help me. No offence to those people who gave me websites in the past.

What is the problem with fungus and why do you eat mushrooms only on pizza?

You can try eggplant, tofu, cauliflower and other bulky vegetables.

If you can't have mushrooms, you should not be making a chicken and mushroom pie. You should probably make a chicken vegetable pie. There are many recipes. I would normally provide a link, but apparently you don't want one? Just Google "chicken vegetable pie recipe."

Small pieces of eggplant or zucchini could be used instead of the mushrooms.

Maybe you can explain a little more about why you don't want to use mushrooms in this recipe or share the recipe you are trying to use? Are you trying to make a creamy pot pie, where the recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, or is the chicken the focus? There are just so many directions you might go.

Mushrooms are a very distinctive flavor and there really isn't anyway to emulate it by using vegetables. They are more like meat in flavor, which is why they are used so often as a vegetarian option. Roasting root vegetables might give them a more robust flavor, or maybe caramelizing onions with soy sauce for that umami flavor.

Please give us a little more insight into what you are trying to create. I hope you share it with us when you make it.

Anonymous

If you have a recipe in mind and don't want the mushrooms, just leave the mushrooms out of the recipe. Otherwise look for a recipe for chicken pot pie.