Substitutes for Mushrooms in Recipes

Category Substitutions
Some people just don't like the flavor or texture of mushrooms. If you are preparing a recipe calling for them you have several options. You can simply leave them out, but the dish may not taste the same especially if they are a major ingredient. Or you can substitute other veggies, such as eggplant, zucchini, carrots, etc.

I really would like to make chicken and mushroom pie, but mushrooms are a fungus so I only have them as a pizza topping. Can anyone give me a substitute for mushrooms? By the way can you not give me other websites to go on because they don't ever help me. No offence to those people who gave me websites in the past.

Answers

Best Answer

Small pieces of eggplant or zucchini could be used instead of the mushrooms.

Best Answer

Maybe you can explain a little more about why you don't want to use mushrooms in this recipe or share the recipe you are trying to use? Are you trying to make a creamy pot pie, where the recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup, or is the chicken the focus? There are just so many directions you might go.

Mushrooms are a very distinctive flavor and there really isn't anyway to emulate it by using vegetables. They are more like meat in flavor, which is why they are used so often as a vegetarian option. Roasting root vegetables might give them a more robust flavor, or maybe caramelizing onions with soy sauce for that umami flavor.

Please give us a little more insight into what you are trying to create. I hope you share it with us when you make it.

Here's a question I've "never" heard asked but a lot of us probably want the answer. What do you use to "replace" mushrooms in recipes? No one here likes them, but we are "happy!".

Thank you all and always wear your seat belts.

Trish from Tucson, AZ

Answers

By Carolyn (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can use pieces of any vegetable you do like to make up the bulk of the mushroom measurement. My daughter likes carrots, zucchini, or celery sauteed and then a little meat base added for flavor.

Best Answer

Yes, you can use anything in it's substitution, or you could just leave out the mushrooms and not subsitute anything in it's place, unless the recipe calls for a huge amount of mushrooms. I've omitted mushrooms from recipes before, because I didn't have any on hand, my recipe came out A-OK.

Best Answer

Tiny pearl onions, water chestnuts, small cooked boiled potatoes.

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsMay 8, 2020
🌻
🐛
👔
👒
😷

Generated 2020-05-09 23:09:19 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️