SubstitutionsFood Tips

Substituting Light for Dark Brown Sugar

I was wondering if you can use light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar for a recipe I found for toffee muffins. Thanks for your help.

By Deb

The two types are interchangeable in recipes. Dark brown sugar gives more of a molasses taste, and probably is better to use in recipes like gingerbread, spice cake etc. Light brown sugar actually is probably better in the muffin recipe, because you want a toffee flavor, not a molasses one. I have been using both types (whatever I have on hand) for over 50 years, and find very little if any difference in the taste of my baking.

Yes, the darker brown sugar simply has more molasses in it. Stir in molasses if you want it darker.