Substitution for Baking Powder

Category Substitutions
If you are planning some baking, but find that you are out of baking powder, you may have the ingredients to make a substitute. This is a guide about a substitution for baking powder.

If you run out of baking powder when you need some, use 2 level teaspoons cream of tartar to one teaspoon baking soda. This is equal to 4 teaspoons of tartrate baking powder, the kind you usually have in the kitchen.

By Evelyn from Greeley, CO

I am making a blackberry cobbler. I am out of baking powder. Am I able to substitute anything? I do have a huge bag of Krusteaz pancake mix, if I add some sugar, butter, and an egg, will it come out OK?

Answers

Try one of these:
Mix ¼ teaspoon baking soda with ½ teaspoon tartar cream. ...
Mix ½ teaspoon baking soda with ½ cup buttermilk, sour milk or plain yogurt. ...
Mix ¼ teaspoon baking soda with 1/3 cup of molasses

I skip the baking powder in a lot of recipes and it turns out fine.

I use 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp cream of tarter to substitute baking powder when I run out. This amount equals 1 tsp of baking powder.
In answer to your question about the Krusteaz: you probably can add some sugar and a little butter along with the liquid recommended. However, it will simply be an experiment on your part and I personally can't answer how much for you. This is how new recipes are formed and it just may become your new favorite! Good Luck!

Here is a Baking Powder Substitute:

2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 tablespoon baking soda

1 tablespoon cornstarch

Sift together.

One teaspoon of this is equal to 1 teaspoon baking powder.

Blackberry cobbler is so easy to make and you can use fresh or frozen blackberries.

Step 1
Baking powder substitutes "recipes" will always mean you have to have baking soda but I have found that many people do not have either one so what can you use?

Step 2
If you do not have the baking power or the baking soda then it would be a better idea to just use self rising flour as neither of these are required for a cobbler.

Step 3
You mentioned that you had a large bag of Krusteaz pancake mix so it seems you were thinking about using this for you cobbler? This makes a very good cobbler so be sure to try it next time.

Krusteaz does not give a recipe for making cobbler with their pancake mix probably because they make a great cobbler mix that they want you to buy. Here is a universal cobbler recipe using pancake mix (almost all brands of pancake mixes contain the same ingredients) that I think you would like. https://www.rea  ackberry-cobbler

Here is an excellent recipe if you want to try making your cobbler with self-rising flour.

http://www.food  r-recipe-1925731

http://thepione  the_great_cobbl/