This delicious corn, Lima bean, and tomato stew actually can be made with many variations to the ingredients. This page contains succotash recipes.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is a delicious stew of made from corn, Lima beans, ham, stewed tomatoes, and spices. I like to serve it over rice, a remnant of my Louisiana origins. Leave out the ham for a equally tasty vegetarian version.
Total Time: 30 - 35
Yield: 8 - 10 servings
- 1 ham steak ($5.00)
- 1 medium onion, chopped ($.50)
- 12 oz Lima beans, frozen ($2.00)
- 2 cups frozen corn ($1.50)
- 2-3 cans petite cut tomatoes with garlic and olive oil ($2-3.00)
- olive oil for browning onion
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp oregano or to taste
- water as needed
- Remove fat from ham steak and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Chop onion.
- Lightly brown ham in Dutch oven. Remove.
- Add onion and a bit of olive oil and cook until translucent.
- Return ham to pot.
- Add Lima beans, corn, tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and bay leaf. You may add additional water as needed.
- Simmer over low heat for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice, if desired.
November 13, 20120 found this helpful
This video shows you the steps to making succotash, a delicious stew of made from corn, Lima beans, ham, stewed tomatoes, and spices. View the full recipe here: Succotash