Sugar Free Substitute for Condensed Milk

How can I substitute for condensed milk with sugar free ingredients?

Best Answer

There is a sugar free product (I have never tried it as sugar is my drug of choice), but you may find it useful:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313...

I would be very careful with your recipes to make sure they turn out the way you want if you are not using an unsweetened or sugar free product. I would be sad for you if your recipes did not work because of the substitutions and you were out a lot of expensive ingredients!
Take care and happy baking!

There is a 3-ingredient version here: mymontanakitchen.com/.../

You can try these out:
www.myketokitchen.com/.../
alldayidreamaboutfood.com/.../

This is an interesting question and I don't have an answer. You may have to experiment.

You asked for a substitute for condensed milk, not sweetened condensed milk (there is a difference), so the sugar shouldn't be a problem.

I remember seeing a recipe recently, here on TF. I didn't read it, but it was for homemade rice milk. I'm wondering if a much thicker (condensed) version of this recipe might be a good substitute.

And too, if you wanted a substitute for sweetened condensed milk, I would think the addition of Splenda knock off would do well. Most major grocers have their own, cheaper brand.

The main ingredient in Splenda and its substitutes use to be sucralose, which is made from sugar. To keep the product affordable, the main ingredient now is maltodextrin, with sucralose being second.

I have tried most every sugar substitute marketed, from saccharine to Stevia and all in between. In my opinion, Splenda and its cheaper knock offs come closest to tasting like natural sugar. I have not cooked with them and don't know how well they perform when used for baking, etc.

Another thought just struck me. What if you put a can of evaporated milk into a sauce pan over very low heat til it was reduced to about half? Then you could sweetened it with Splenda or a substitute if desired.

Personally, I don't care for cooking with sweetened condensed milk. It doesn't do much to enrich a recipe with milk as it is over half sugar.